Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Phantom harddrive space that I can't free up

• Please log in to reply

Derek Jeter

Derek Jeter

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
While I was going through files and transferring some of them to my External HD, I meant to click on "Delete this folder". However, I accidentally clicked on "E-mail this folder's files". Nothing really happened, except a tiny lag in my system for a few seconds, so I didn't think anything of it at the time. Fast-forward to 5 minutes later....I was checking my HD space in "My Computer" and I noticed that I had an extra 2 GB's that were being taken up in my C: For example, I had 20 Gigs of free space before I clicked on "E-mail this folder's files" and afterwards I had 17.5 Gigs of free space. I know for a fact that it's connected because said folder that I had clicked on 5 minutes earlier was 2 GBs. I didn't lose the folder (thank god) but instead I think it was copied somewhere else.

The thing is...I've looked all through my files to see what folder it could have been copied in so I can free the space back up but I CAN'T FIND IT!!! Where did the copied 2 GB folder go?

BTW, to be 100% sure, a few minutes ago I clicked on "E-mail this folder's files" on a 300MB file and the same thing happened. My C: had 300MB taken up and I can't find the copied file so I can delete it.

Here's an example of what I clicked on....
Posted Image

Any help is much appreciated.

Edited by Derek Jeter, 18 July 2007 - 04:51 AM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You can try to do a File/Folder search by size to see if you can find those. A 2 GB and 300 Mb size ought to be easy to find. Use your Search and then expand menu under "What size is it?". Select last one and enter size of first file you want to search for. Remember you have two options to select too: "at least/at most". Also, the size entered is in KBs.

The folder you clicked to email may be in your mail client's Send folder. If you open it up to check, be sure you are OFF LINE or it will try to send the large email and you'll have to Stop operation, then delete it.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 18 July 2007 - 05:14 AM.

Derek Jeter

Derek Jeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks.

I fixed it. The files were in...

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Yahoo!\Mail\attach

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Glad you got it fixed. Would you please post how you were able to fix the problem so anyone else reading this topic will know what to do. Thank you for using GTG.

Ron