Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WHAT IS BETTER A PCI OR A AGP SLOT FOR A GRAPHIC CARD

• Please log in to reply

bloodb

bloodb

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
WHAT IS BETTER A PCI OR A AGP SLOT FOR A GRAPHIC CARD IS THERE SOMETHING BETWEEN THEM OR SOMETHING FASTER I WANT TO KNOW

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
DON"T TYPE IN ALL CAPS...it's yelling...and annoying to read

AGP is faster than PCI and PCIE is faster than both...you need to know what kind of slots your friend has before getting a card or really asking for suggestions about what type to get

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. AGP tends to be a faster card, becuase AGP can transmit more data per clock. In simpler terms, you could have two identical card, one PCI and one that is AGP, and the AGP card will likely run faster, becuase it has more processing power. There are a few differences otherwise, however, I feel that you would be confused, unless you know all the computer jargon, so I'll wait for you to decide there.

Now, becuase technology is ever changing today, I just want to verify... Is the PCI slot standard PCI, or PCI-E?

I would suggest an AGP card, simply becuase from the experience I have had, combined with my own research, I think an AGP card will work faster for you. Hope this helps :whistling:

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
There's another point worth remembering, though not related to performance as such -- an AGP port can only be used for garphics cards whereas a PCI slot can be used for other things like a network card, sound-card etc. It therefore makes more sense to use the AGP port for graphics if you have one, leaving a PCI slot free for something else you may want to fit later on.

bloodb

bloodb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
thank you people so much but can i ask is there different kinds of agp slots and if there are how can i find out which one i have

Edited by bloodb, 18 July 2007 - 12:31 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There are three main types of AGP slots in the way they are keyed, that is they would only accept certain cards.

Best solution is take a picture of the motherboard in question and post it on here.

bloodb

bloodb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
well its a HP - Compaq dc5000 Series All Form Factors
# Maximum Memory Capacity: 6144MB
# Currently Installed Memory: 1gb
# Available Memory Slots: 2
# Number of Banks: 4
# Dual Channel Support: Yes
# CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel