Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Move to new motherboard

• Please log in to reply

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
My friend is an idiot who bought a dell with a crappy intel integrated graphics chip. So later im telling him how i got a new graphics card and how everything runs better so he goes and buys one of his own, but there is no AGP slot on the motherboard so he needs a new motherboard, but what i want to know how i move the processeser over, do i just release it and pull it out, also do i need to re apply thermal paste?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not all people who buy Dells are idiots. Some of them just don't know any better :whistling:

Anyway most Dell computers use a metal block with a green "funnel" and fan on it as a heatsink, this is non-transferable to any other computer. You'd need a new heatink and fan as well on the new board. Normally you release the two green clips and the metal block comes straight up, most of the time bringing the processor with it. A new heatink usually comes with thermal paste either in a tube or as a thermal pad.

Don't forget you may not be able to re-use the Dell case with a new motherboard so you may need a new computer case as well. Also don't forget a Windows repair, don't boot it straight up as it will just blue-screen at you.