Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rebooting computer

• Please log in to reply

Pat38499

Pat38499

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi: I'm not only new to this forum but new to chat rooms. I've had a computer for a while but never got into chat rooms before so if I sound silly bear with me, please.
I have a Compaq 5108 computer that has worked wonderfully for me for several years. Suddenly it started randomly rebooting itself. I've had my loscel "geek" look at it and he has no idea what is causing the problem or how to fix it. So I purchased a new computer. My new computer does not have a floppy drive and I have most of my info stored on disketts so I hooked up the 5108 so I could transfer the data to cds. When I turn on the 5108 it boots up beautifully the almost immediately reboots and continues to reboot for as long as I leave it on.
Is there any help for it? I really don't want to have to upgrade my new computer already when all I want is to transfer the data from the disketts.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...first off...you put this in the wrong place...so i'll move it

second...are you just worried about getting the info off of the floppy disks? or do you have other stuff that you want to get from the old machine?

if all you care about is the floppies...just get a USB floppy drive (pretty easy to find and pretty cheap)...then you can get all the stuff off of the floppies onto your new computer

if you're needing to get more data off the other computer besides what's on the floppies...we have ways you can do that as well

Pat38499

Pat38499

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Sorry I put it in the wrong plasce.
Yes, all I need is to access the floppys and I wasn't aware that I could get a USB drive for that.
Again Thanks.