Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

rebuild using original hd

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
My wife's old eMacine T2885 (celeron 2.8) died a few days ago...it appears the mobo died. I want to rebuild the machine utilizing the HD, case,cd burner and 3.5 floppy. I will not or do not want to reuse the power supply becasue it is only 250 W and is suspect. The RAM (512) is generally not compatible with anything new and the mobo is toast.

So, I would like to get a few ideas of what people would recommend for a microATX board build for an AMD processor (x2 or 64 +3400 or greater). It needs to suport the old HD becasue I need to do a repair install on XP to save all the old files.

What do you recommend for a reliable value priced mobo and power supply for home PC that is never used for gaming. Looking for reliable value not performance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You'll probably find that the processor is okay, therefore just drop a new board and PSU in and repair that. But having said that, every eMachines installation I've seen tends to be more or less totally hosed within six months regardless of the state of the hardware so it may be worth just buying a new hard drive as well, doing a new installation onto that and copying over what you want from the old drive.