Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How did you get your nick?

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
So how did you get your nickname/handle/name? I'm admin, um because I'm the site admin. :blink:

I'm sure many of you have more interesting stories behind your choice of nicks, let's hear them! :whistling:

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Jax was a nickname I had from football, its short for my last name. Island becuase my last name has "land" in it, so JaxIsland

Nothin special :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Island becuase my last name has "land" in it

i've been pronouncing it "jax-iss-land" in my head this whole time....i think i'll keep it that way

DSenette--.....be creative...surely you could figure it out

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

i've been pronouncing it "jax-iss-land" in my head this whole time....i think i'll keep it that way

Crazy monkeys with their accents :whistling:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Jax was a nickname I had from football, its short for my last name. Island becuase my last name has "land" in it, so JaxIsland

Wouldn't it have been easier to just use your last name? :whistling:

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Wouldn't it have been easier to just use your last name?

It would be easier, but I cannot reveal that information due to operational security :whistling:

I have a very unique last name so I keep it close. If it was a common name I wouldnt mind it.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Keith - Keith was originally Scottish and probably came from a form of 'coillte' or 'ceiteach', meaning "woods". It might also have been influenced by Welsh 'coedwig' (forest), and even by Old English 'cuth' (knowledgeable).
Origin:Gaelic
Meaning:Woods

R - First letter of my last name.

128 - My boithday.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Um, I'm Troy and my wife is Ruth. As a "gentleman", I put ladies first. Although I wouldn't mind changing it to DriF6, after the awesome FPV vehicle, it's the picture under my name. Because it's only me on these forums anyway (not my wife as well), but people might get confused and think "who's this punk trying to help me, where's ruthandtroy?" :whistling: Unless we could put a little tag under it that says "the artist formerly known as ..."

I'm always full of good ideas like that. :blink:

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Mine comes from my initials and the year I am eligible to retire. And no I am not that old, when I am eligible to retire I will be 49, but I will probably not retire till I am 52 or 53.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Well, my first internet shell account had a login of 'bsbaker' and because I didnt wanna use that on forums, I took my last name (baker) and added the 7 because I was born in 1972 - My parents took the bs part of my name and used to pick on me (what they called me would not be appropriate for posting here :whistling:) But because I feel that the forums are family friendly, and I really want people to know who I am, I decided to display **Brian** at G2G.

On the Internet I am also known as "Buddy" Named after the Driver of the #88 race car owned by Buddy Baker :blink: My parents and sisters and brother call me that as well :help:

Thats The origin of Baker7 :help:

Brian

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
You know what? I don't even know. :whistling:

It's just that one day this word jumped into my mind, and since I don't really like nicknames with numbers, I chose it to be my nickname on a different board. Then I registered here again (after being a member a couple of years ago) with this name. I do have another name online, but I since I use it for political observations in public sites, I choose to keep it confidential so any private information I give away is not used against me. :blink: Also if someone accidental stutters on my opinions on the net, I don't want them to use them against me since G2G is not politically orientated.

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
It's the nickname of a commercial diving helmet that I sometimes used to wear when I made my living at it. The correct name is a Ratcliffe Helmet. The avatar comes from a cartoon that was made years ago for one of the diving companies that used a lot of Ratcliffe Helmets.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

It's the nickname of a commercial diving helmet that I sometimes used to wear when I made my living at it. The correct name is a Ratcliffe Helmet. The avatar comes from a cartoon that was made years ago for one of the diving companies that used a lot of Ratcliffe Helmets

what depth where you certified at? was it saturation level diving? that's some crazy stuff....staying down there that far for that long...breathing helium.....crazy stuff! i've always wanted to do diving...but never gotten any where near doing it

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts

what depth where you certified at? was it saturation level diving? that's some crazy stuff....staying down there that far for that long...breathing helium.....crazy stuff! i've always wanted to do diving...but never gotten any where near doing it

HSE Part II, mixed gas. Did saturation for 17 years until I came to my senses!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
nice...that's hardcore stuff