Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Ruby vs. PHP

• Please log in to reply

efilm66

efilm66

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am in the preliminary stages of establishing a working relationship with a programmer.

But should I believe him when he says that a site that is created with Ruby on Rails will be twice as expensive as oppose to creating it with PHP? I gather from reading online that RoR will increase the speed and ease with which my database-driven web site can be created and maintained... but he adds that creating a RoR framework will be expensive at first but easier to make changes to down the road, therefore, will end up saving me time and money if I want to add on features in the future.

FYI: I'm attempting to create a site with the same functionalities as ratemyprofessor.com. However, I would also like to enhance the site next year--hopefully, with a few big add-ons. In that case, he recommends that I go with Ruby on Rails. Create the basic site... and then down the road--add on features. so to get my basic site up with RoR he estimates $9-10,000; with PHP he estimates $5-6,000.

Is this an accurate statement+estimate?

Thanks so much! Love this site~

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I read the overview on Ruby on Rails and it seems like they have a good support team, offer a listing of many hosts that are familiar with RonR, and have several varieties of platforms available for use. I would think, my opinion only, is that it would be easier to make what you want with RonR then go the PHP route if your programmer was referring to handcoding the PHP pages himself. Easier being less costly to me. RonR surely seems easy to set up and I am sure it is not the only packaged open sourced package available.

I take it your programmer has used RonR before and may be making it easy on himself yet charging more. Not having used RonR, he might be familiar with any quirks it has in setup and must spend more time on that part.

Hopefully, someone whose knowledge exceeds my own will post a better response.

Ron

efilm66

efilm66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks Ron,

Just trying to get a cost estimate for going in the route of solely ruby on rails.. really don't have anything to base it on. i'm thinking of getting some estimates at guru.com

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You are, at least, doing the right thing. Asking around before putting up that much money. Might check out webdeveloper.com and see if someone there has used RonR while you wait for another post here. Doesn't hurt.

Ron