Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't reinstall windows XP on my laptop after DBAN

• Please log in to reply

mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Sorry if this is the same post twice, but I can't find it otherwise.

Hello and thanks for reading.

I have a ViewSonic tablet laptop that had the unfortunate experience of having a keylogger type worm installed onto it, so that my "friend" was able to spy on all of my emails. I figured the best approach would be to clean the hard drive with DBAN. This worked fine on my desk top...and appeared to work well on my laptop as well.

The problem now is that when I try to reinstall the recovery disks for the laptop and even the windows XP that I use for my laptop, I get the same error: (blue screen)

A problem has been tetected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer...blah blah blah.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF99E640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

My laptop does not have a cd player, but I am using an addonics peripheral CD player.

The error occurs after the recover disks boot up, the computer says to push R for display system recovery options. I do so and I see the appropate "starting systems recovery" scroll at the bottom of the screen.

After that, I see the error.

I also tried to use my desktop windows disk to see if I had a problem with my recovery disks...same thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike in St. Louis

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You can always search for your topics by username by using the Search links. One at top of every page, one to the right of the Live Chat! link.

Your topics

Ron

mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
?????? I am confused. Who's username would I use to search for a problem regarding my problems installing XP?

How will this help my problem?

I did a search and did not find anything helpful. If you can direct me to a prior post, that would be great.

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your post is a bit confusing.....are you trying to install with a recovery disk or a full XP disk?

mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I tried to install each...both the recovery disks that came with the laptop and a new XP disk that I iused to install XP on my desktop.

After reading my post again, I see where I messed up. Thanks!!!