Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop overheats

• Please log in to reply

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Hello, I bought this laptop, an Acer Aspire 5672 WLMi from newegg.com almost a year ago. InterlCore Duo processor, 1.66 Ghz,
ATI mobility radeon x1600. My problem is that whenever I play a game, usually Counter-strike 1.6, it will overheat and turn off in like 5-10 minutes. I am assuming this is an overheating problem because it is not very hot when I am net-surfing, and the minute I turn on CS, it starts boiling. I do have an external fan under it, but I am pretty sure it is of no use. The fan seems like a popsicle in a sauna basically.

If you google "acer aspire 5672 overheat," it is not exactly an uncommon problem. From what I read from google, Acer uses cheap thermal paste but I'm not exactly very good with computers, so I have no idea what I would be doing if I were to manually apply new thermal paste. Don't even know what that is actually.

Anyways, the warranty expires very soon, so I do not know what to do. I would send it in, but they would probably take like a month to get it back to me, and besides that, there's a good chance they will wipe out my hard drive. But it seems I have no other choice, please help. Thanks.

Advertisements

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
anyone?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Sk0rch...

Have you cleaned the CPU cooler? Ideally, this would be done with the machine disassembled to expose the inner workings, but to test the theory, you can do a fair job of this without opening the case. Download and install SpeedFan on the machine and check the temperatures with the machine running at an idle...that is, with only Windows running. Temp 1 should be somewhere near 40*C. Post what you see here for us...a screenshot of the SpeedFan window with the "Readings" tab selected would be helpful.

Get yourself a can of compressed air. This should be readily available anywhere computers are sold and at most office supply stores. With the machine off and upside down, blow the air into the vents of the machine...both intake and exhaust. Be gentle, but be thorough. If you can see the CPU fan, use a Q-Tip or other small non conductive item to keep it from spinning...over revving the fan can damage the fan's bearings. Then turn the machine right side up and direct the air to any vents you can see and under the machine to "pull" and residual dust and lint out of the machine. Use the whole can if you see a lot of dust initially.

Power the machine on and use SpeedFan to check the temperatures again...at an idle. Do you see any improvement? A screenshot after cleaning would, again. be helpful.

wannabe1

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Sorry, haven't checked this in a while, I will do what you said, however, I have figured out a solution. Besides the external fan underneath my laptop, I have a fan, like a house fan that is used for a living room, pointed right at my laptop, right where it outputs the heat, and so far for the most part it seems to work, I've had only one instance where my laptop shut off in over a week!

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Yeah it's back, happens every 30 minutes now.. annoying beyond words. And my warranty has expired =[.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You should have backed everything up and sent it back while it was still under warranty, that's what its there for and it would have been repaired for nothing or a replacement issued.

Now, because its out of warranty, it will still need to go in for service as it sounds like a problem under the hood which you can realistically do nothing about. Finance wise, it will probably sting and if it turns out to be a mainboard problem, the laptop will be written off - the fact its only lasted just over a year is tragic but unfortunately your reluctance to use the warranty is, I'm sorry to say, your problem and you would need to buy a new laptop. On the other hand you may be lucky and the machine be repairable considerably cheaply.

Edited by Neil Jones, 23 August 2007 - 04:28 PM.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
ive figured out the exact problem if anyone still wants to help me.

its the CPU speed.

acer has a power management controller. i can adjust the cpu speed. whenever the speed is at max or high, the laptop will run the game very smoothly with 100 fps and no choke and stuff, but if i put the speed at low or medium, i will get 30 fps and 80 choke, in other words, i cant play the game, however, the laptop would never shut off.

any ideas?

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
anyone?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
All of us here are GeekstoGo are volunteers. We have our own real jobs that pay the bread and butter. We also all have families and other obligations that keep us from always being able to respond .
We do the best we can to take care of everyone. Unfortunately sometimes posts fall though the cracks. Reposing (bumping) your thread is only likely to fill up our Inbox more (for those of us who track messages) making it harder for us to respond.

If it has been 3 days sense you have received a response you may post in the waiting room.

More information and instructions on how to post in the Waiting Room are found in the link below. Please follow ALL the instructions.
http://www.geekstogo...ays-t95503.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That being said generally I tell people that portable computers are not meant for high end gaming with best performance. In my opinion 30FPS with 80% choke is rather average.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
yes but i get 100 fps and 0 choke when i put the cpu speed on max or even high.

Advertisements

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
anyone have any ideas?

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Someone at another forum posted this.

paneity says
From my Google search I found this little message on another forum

"Hey I'm new to the forum and just purchased an aspire 5672 . I found a fix that someone had posted on neweggs review for the 5672 with the x1600. Flip over your laptop and unscrew the plating that covers the processor, gpu, and houses the memory. More likely than not you have a piece of plastic over the vent that is DIRECTLY above the cpu. I removed this with a flathead screwdriver and changed the thermal paste with artic silver. My exhaust went from scolding hot to luke warm even under the most intense gaming (tested with cs:s after an hour of gaming, full settings). I did not test the actual heat changes because I didn't have the tools before hand but maybe theres someone on the board who can because they haven't done this fix yet."

You'll be able to do it yourself, honestly. No need to wait a few weeks and paying big dollars for something so small.

You can get sachets of silver thermal conductivity paste at all computer stores. If it's possible, get Arctic Silver thermal paste, they're a reputable manufacturer of it. Some silver thermal paste don't even have silver in it, which is why it's good to not get a dodgy brand of it.
To clean off bad thermal paste, isopropyl alcohol (or alcohol wipes, which you could find in your first aid kit) does the trick.

While you're at it, it can always get some compressed air to clean away the dust inside.

There is a tutorial on how to apply thermal paste here

However, if you really are unsure of your ability, I would recommend giving it to a store. If they're/you're really nice, they might do it for you while you wait, you never know.

I think this would definitely work since its the exact same model as mine. I'm going to try out in a few weeks.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Be careful with liquids and electronics. I also would not do this to a system under warranty because it will void the warranty.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
the warranty voided last august.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I'm actually thinking of trying it out a little earlier, but I'm afraid I will mess up my laptop. The first thing I'm going to do is the compressed air, and I'm not even sure how to do that, let alone the thermal paste. Should I take it to a store? If so, what store? Would the geek squad at best buy do it for me?

Or I can just use that tutorial paneity gave me, http://www.techpower...icle.php?id=134