Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop overheats

• Please log in to reply

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Sk0rch,

That all depends on how comfortable you are with taking apart your portable.

Advertisements

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Yeah the compressed air in the vents to remove dust didn't do much, the problem remains. I also took a trip to best buy and circuit city. Both stores say they do not put thermal paste onto laptops. So I figured I'll do it myself, best buy was out of thermal paste, circuit city had this little bottle of actec thermal paste for 17$, if I don't find anything better I guess I will get that next weekend.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
tuxmaster do you think it will be that hard? I'm not very comfortable seeing as how I have never opened up a a laptop before and don't know what any of the parts are, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
I'm going to go with this one - 5.99 + 5$ shipping, is this fine? Looks like a great deal to me compared to the 17$ at circuit city, plus the customer reviews massively lean towards the indication that it is a great product. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835100007

Edited by Sk0rch, 22 October 2007 - 08:26 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Arctic Silver is very good. If you aren't too sure about it, I strongly recommend you head down to a local computer store (not geek squad) and get them to do it for you. I often find the "enthusiastic" workers are there.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
That's the problem, there are no "Fry's" or PCShops near me, I don't know where to go.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Really? That's interesting... I would have thought that a quick phone-book search would find some stores in your area...

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
the thermal paste has arrived, although I haven't inserted it in yet, oddly enough, my laptop has been acting unusually cool for the past few days, hasn't shut off once.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Well you need to ask yourself, "What's changed?"

The temperature in the rooms around you? Anything else you can think of?

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
nothing really, i know its not the temp of the room because its been cool at my apartment and my house, the only thing that has changed is i downloaded this program called speedfan the other day, but i think that just monitors your cpu temperature, not adjust it.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Speedfan is able to adjust your fans :)

Advertisements

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Oh wow, really? Well, I mean, it doesn't adjust them automatically right? Because all I did was download it, I didn't adjust any temperature.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Well it sounds obvious that it has changed them for you. The good news is, if you ever do put the Arctic Silver on, it should drop another few degrees :)

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Okay, it's back lol, after 2 weeks of the laptop not shutting off - it did it 2-3 times today... =\ I'll probably get around to applying the thermal paste in a few weeks maybe. According to speed fan the HD0 is 100F. The Temp1 is 200F. Core0 and Core1 are 130F.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
ok after 2 weeks of nonlaptop gayness, the laptop shut off 2-3x today, knew it was too good to be true, hopefully the thermal paste will be a permanent solution.

someone actually linked me to a thread which gives a detailed guide about applying the thermal paste with lots of pictures, and it is about my exact laptop model too, so its really awesome, acer aspire 5672wlmi.

http://forum.noteboo...ead.php?t=77860

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just out of curiosity, do you use your laptop on your lap or on a desk/table?
James