Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Live CD's boot menu

• Please log in to reply

Fortunas

Fortunas

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have a 2GB Sandisk Micro Cruzer which I use to store some useful data and programs.
I am looking to install some live CD's (some linux distro's) in addition to the data already on the drive.
Is there a way to create a boot menu, so that when the USB drive is plugged in, there is a boot menu similar to one that is used when dual booting to operating systems in Windows, from which I can choose which live CD i want to boot into, or whether to skip and boot into windows?

Thanks
fort

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstothrow. I often misuderstand the question but a lot of computers these days have the boot sequence option including the usb sourse, so just muke it first option and then when your usb scandisk is not pluged into the computer's USB port the computer will just boot from the harddrive as normal.

Fortunas

Fortunas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yeah I know how to set my computer to boot off the USB drive, but my question is whether there is a way to put multiple live CD's on the USB, so that when the computer boots to it, there will be options to which I can boot to, as well as an option to skip the USB boot, and go directly into windows.
Thanks for your help
fort

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
When you install another OS on your thumb drive, I doubt it will auto detect another OS like it does when you install a full version. I'm sure if you installed GRUB or another boot loader and configured it.