Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop freezes, and problems with booting it most of the time.

• Please log in to reply

keith11

keith11

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi everyone,
I have a Toshiba Centrino m35-s320 satellite laptop which is 3 yrs old. The processor speed is 1.5 GHz and I have 768 MB RAM installed. Suddenly two weeks ago it froze while I was just working as usual. I thought it was the loose hinge of the laptop so I tried shaking it a little bit, but nothing worked. I don't know if my fan is working or not. I took it to a technician and he saw there was some black shading on the processor so he thought it was the processor which had blown up. He tested my laptop with another processor but it didn't work so he said it could be the motherboard. Now he doesn't know for sure about the motherboard but he thinks it could be the problem. He said there is nothing visually he could find out that could tell him about the motheboard and if he has to do the tests on the motherboard, it will take him a month. I am in a very big dilemma. I don't even know what is wrong with my laptop. I will describe the symptoms as the following:

It boots sometimes and not most of the times. If it boots, it can be stuck at any stage of booting or even when it shows the logon screen in Win XP. It can get stuck later on too, so basically it can get stuck anytime. Strangely, it just won't boot most of the time and when it does boot, it boots only for a few seconds. Even stranger, right now it has stayed on for more than 3 hours and I don't know how and why. I am ready to replace the part if there is some problem in a hardware but at least I should know for sure what the problem is. The technician couldn't figure it out but I had to pay him the labor charge. I am a student and I can't afford paying labor charges to people when they can't fix the problem. I downloaded motherboard monitor and it displays two temperatures as 134 and 138 in the taskbar. I thought it was the heat because of which my laptop might be getting stuck but I am just not able to figure out what's wrong. If the processor had blown up and there was a problem in the motherboard why would my laptop run for more than 3 hours today and is still running? I don't know if it's the loose hinge (the technician said it wasn't the hinge without doing any tests), motherboard, wireless card or the processor, how do I know it? I would greatly appreciate if someone can help me figure out the problem and help me solve it. Many thanks.

Keith.

Edited by keith11, 20 July 2007 - 07:31 PM.

Advertisements