Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Needed: Re-Raiding system, installing XP.

• Please log in to reply

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hello,

Recently I installed vista on 2 linked HDD's for a new system and have decided i need to remove it and install xp on 3 linked HDD's.

I was hoping a few people could double check this list of things I will do to make sure I am installing xp correctly. If there is something wrong, or a better way to do what I am doing please let me know!

The system is comprised of the following:

1. Intel E6600 CPU.
2. 2 x 320GB SATA2 HDD 16meg cache in Raid performance mode.
3. 1 x 320GB SATA2 HDD 16 meg cache separate to other drives.
4. 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC5300 DDR2 667 "Corsair"
5. 7950GT 512meg DDR3 Core Clock: 550 MHz Dual DVI TV-Out
6. Gigabyte 965 Chipset Motherboard - GA-965P-DS3Pro
7. Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit OEM

First of all, there is a problem: the computer runs fine, but a message is displayed at startup which has not always been like this:

Posted Image

i presume that the this will be fixed when i re raid the drives, does anyone think i need to address this issue or just leave it?

A) I will install a floppy drive.
B) I will activate the menu screen at start up of computer.
C) I will delete RAID Volumes.
D) I will create RAID Volumes - link all 3.
E) I will format the Raid volume.
F) I will insert MOBO CD/DVD and copy raid drivers to floppy disk.
G) I will insert XP CD and install the raid drivers so I can install windows on the raid volume.
H) Windows will install and i will install all components - sound, gfx, vga, lan etc.

Thanks if anyone can provide advice if there are better / easier ways to do this!

Kind regards,
st22

UDADATE: PROBLEM SOLVED. THANK YOU.

Edited by st22, 23 July 2007 - 10:47 PM.

Advertisements