Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sata hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Schubee

Schubee

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Please help me I replaced my 80 gb ata western digital hard drive with my sata 300 gb by just using ghost to mirror windows over to it
but before that my other sata hard drive 320 gb was not being used so i unplugged it (it was in slot 1)
now the new drive is in slot one and when I plug the 320 drive in to slot two it wont show up?

Thank you for any help

Alex

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Make sure the your jumpers are set correctly ie - one master and one slave or both cable select.

howell414

howell414

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
there is no slave or master setting if you are using SATA drives. now you cant see the 2nd hard drive you installed in SATA slot 2.

go to my computer, right click, manage, disk management. see if you can see your other SATA drive from there. :whistling:

Schubee

Schubee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
nope its not there

by the way it has data on it would that make a difference?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Sorry, sata was even in the post name... If you put the 320gb is port 1 and the 80gb in port 2 will your 80 show up? Have a look in your BIOS and see if it is recognized there.

Schubee

Schubee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yea, the 80 gb is a ata not sata and i replaced it because the molex conecter snaped off and had to weld new pins on just to save the os
which is now on the 320 gb sata

Edited by Schubee, 20 July 2007 - 12:01 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Stop using that molex ASAP. Buy a new power supply. Rigging power wires in your computer leaves a lot of potential for failure and it could be worse than a burnt out hard drive...

Edit: Or, if possible, stop using that molex.

Edited by Titan8990, 20 July 2007 - 12:47 PM.

Schubee

Schubee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
the molex was on the hard drive which is now gone and the data is on the 320 i dont need a new power supply i had to weld on the hard drive not on the power supplys cable but it should not matter now because that hardrive my 80 gb is gone

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I'm getting a bit confused now. If you don't mind try to break your post off into sentences. Do you have a total of two or three hard drives?

Edited by Titan8990, 20 July 2007 - 01:58 PM.

Schubee

Schubee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok in a nut shell i have 2 hard drives that work and one that wont.
the two that work are my sata 300 gb and my wd 300 gb ata.
the one that dose not work is my 320 sata.
the other 80 is not revelent because i mirrored the info including the os(windows) to the 300 sata when i accendently snaped the molex conecter pins off the 80 ata..
so i replaced it with the 300 sata but dident have a cable for it so i just used the cable from the 320 sata.
now that i have a extra cable i want to get the data and use the 320 sata but pluging it in slot two wont work because that is where my 300 sata with windows is installed.

so i dont know if there is a way to get windows to learn the 320 is not in slot 1 but in slot 2

hopefully that clears things up

Edited by Schubee, 20 July 2007 - 02:32 PM.