Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Labtec Speaker Driver needed

• Please log in to reply

Isaacw

Isaacw

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have some cheap Labtec spin 75 speakers,but apparantly my Dell doesn't have a soundcard? There is nothing listed in the device manager. Do I need a soundcard or just the driver? Help!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi Isaacw, can you provide a link to the model Dell computer you have? You should be able to find drivers on this link. If it's really old, it might not have integrated sound, but if it was built in the last few years it definitely will.

Isaacw

Isaacw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It's about 5 years old and is a Dell Dimension 2350. I don't think it has integrated sound. So, how do I get this? Do you mean a link to the Dell website?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Yeah, my guess is that it should have a sound card or integrated sound. If you go to the Dell website and find your model (probably under the "support" section) then post that link. You can also find out by looking on the back of the computer, there should be somewhere where you can plug your speakers in.

Isaacw

Isaacw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I did all this and even spoke with a dell support rep who tried several different things as well as downloading a new driver several time. He said I would have to reinstall windows, then the drivers again. Yuck! Does this sound likely to you?

He did verify that it had integrated sound card and was working fine. Just can't get sound. My speakers work too as I have checked them on another computer and we checked all the settings.

Edited by Isaacw, 28 July 2007 - 12:35 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Okay that's good, the integrated sound card is usually a popular form of audio for most computers. Did you keep any of the several driver downloads you did? I'm sure that the rep would have given you the latest driver, so we'll be needing this - make sure it's somewhere easy to get to, like on your desktop. If you don't have it, download it again. I doubt you would need to reinstall windows...

Follow these instructions:

Start menu > Control Panel (or Settings > Control Panel) > Add/Remove Programs
(Are there any programs in here that you know are for your audio device? If so, remove them. If not, just ignore this step.)

Right-Click on "My Computer" > Manage > Device Manager > Sound, Video and Game Controllers
(Right-Click on your audio device, select Uninstall, you will need to confirm you want to remove the device from your system.)

Reboot your computer (Start menu > Turn Off Computer > Restart)
Once your system has finished rebooting and you are logged in again, you should be presented with the "Found New Hardware" wizard. Just ignore this for now, (you may have to move it out of the way) and open the downloaded file. Go through with it and it should install the drivers and software as necessary for your system. You may need to reboot once more to finish everything off.

Any problems, give us another post detailing the problem you get. If any of these steps don't work for you, post back and let us know this also. And finally, if you have already done all this with the Dell Service Rep, let me know this too.

Good luck :whistling:

Isaacw

Isaacw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I did all this with the Dell Service Rep more than once :whistling: I do have the drivers on my desktop. Thanks! He did all this while having control of my computer, so not sure I can remember everything. But I do know that he tried several different drivers and a chipset driver.

Edited by Isaacw, 28 July 2007 - 08:59 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Well it's possible that something is conflicting and thus it isn't working properly. A complete reinstall of Windows may fix the problem. You would need to backup all of your data first, of course.

It's also possible that the integrated sound has finally kicked the bucket. You can pickup a cheap soundcard that would do the trick. Here's an example from Newegg that is $11.99 I'm not sure how good the brand is (at that price, you can't complain!) As long as it works, I suppose... You wouldn't want to go spending too much more on a component for that computer as it's 5 years old, as you have mentioned.

I'm not really sure at how to go about it further than this unless you wanted to try the options I mentioned. If you wanted to wait a little more, I'm sure someone else might be able to comment. You could try sending a Personal Message to a member of staff that helps in the hardware forum here asking if they wouldn't mind looking at this thread and helping out, just copy the address bar link into the message for them. The staff member may suggest something new or suggest to try one of my tips.

Cheers :whistling: