Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my computer the best to build off of

• Please log in to reply

bloodb

bloodb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Are you looking for suggestions on the parts that you don't have? Budget?

on parts THAT YOU DON'T HAVE. BUDGET. :whistling:

Even if you aren't buying now, if you're only going to be able to afford an $800 budget then there's no point in us recommending a $2000 super-unit.

I dont get it when you say"on parts THAT YOU DON'T HAVE. BUDGET"and who said im going to spend 800 on parts when I have half of the parts,I might spend 100-250$ at most and from there when finish then I worry about the good parts

Edited by bloodb, 21 July 2007 - 10:55 PM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
bloodb, you are being very unclear in your posts. Why would you spend $100-$250 on bad parts, then buy better parts? What exactly are you trying to do? As everyone has said, currently you have NO parts that are suitable for playing the latest games, so you might want to start from scratch.

bloodb

bloodb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
thats what im planning on doing but i want to buy parts at a time this is what i have already

250gb harddrive
dvd burner
Processor Cooling Fan
and ill think ill use my p4

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Because of how much computer things change that is not a good idea. You could buy the RAM for your computer now but by the time you are finished building it that same RAM could be $20 cheaper. For the reason I suggest saving your money and buying everything at once. This in the end will save you money. I don't recommend keeping the pentium 4 either. I have a 2.8ghz p4 myself and it struggles on some games and more specifically their load screens. They are very high end games such as GRAW and Dark Missiah of Might and Magic. If you get a new CPU it will come with a fan. You will probably want a SATA HDD unless the one you have is already 3gb/s SATA.

Edit: If you are itching to buy something now then buy a case.

Edited by Titan8990, 22 July 2007 - 12:37 PM.

bloodb

bloodb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Yea its better to buy a case first and how about the motherboard and whats the difference between SATA HDD and IDE

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
SATA allows for much faster transfer speeds and uses much smaller cables inside the case, which is better for airflow. IDE hard drives are being phased out slowly. Try looking up Wikipedia and reading up on this, you'll learn a lot.

bloodb

bloodb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
So to really clear it up would it be best for me to buy the motherboard,the cpu,the ram and the case and start to build my own system because I could always worry about the video card later and the rest and use the stuff I have now because to tell the truth have a little ebay selling here and there,thats why im saying I dont have money like that

Edited by bloodb, 23 July 2007 - 02:30 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
No, you seem to have missed the point. If you buy some parts now, and some later, the parts you buy now will be outdated (and much less expensive) by the time you buy the other parts. That is why we have all recommended that you save up, and when you have enough money to buy all the parts required for a nice gaming computer, buy it. The stuff you have now is not suitable for a gaming computer, which you stated you wanted to build in the title, so you'll need to start from scratch.

One more thing, bragging about computer smarts, then saying "Oh, my gaming computer doesn't really need a video card... I might get one later..." might not be the best idea in the future...

Edited by stettybet0, 23 July 2007 - 10:59 AM.

bloodb

bloodb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
to tell you the truth nobody ask you

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
If you ask a question on a public forum, then you are basically asking everyone with an internet connection...

And all I did was echo what everyone else has said...

Your computer is old, probably not the best idea to go upgrading it too much if you want to play the latest games. What games do you intend on playing? What's your upgrade budget? Depending on those answers, you would probably want to get some much better parts (i.e. a new system).

Ideally you'd want a new motherboard, RAM, video card, and processor. You'd also need a new power supply to power these parts.

Which is only a hard drive, DVD drive, case, and OS away from a completly new build....

Because of how much computer things change [buying some parts now] is not a good idea. You could buy the RAM for your computer now but by the time you are finished building it that same RAM could be $20 cheaper. For the reason I suggest saving your money and buying everything at once. This in the end will save you money. I don't recommend keeping the pentium 4 either. I have a 2.8ghz p4 myself and it struggles on some games and more specifically their load screens. They are very high end games such as GRAW and Dark Missiah of Might and Magic. If you get a new CPU it will come with a fan. You will probably want a SATA HDD unless the one you have is already 3gb/s SATA.

Edit: If you are itching to buy something now then buy a case.

So, if you don't want to take our advice, then go ahead and waste the money you have on a machine that will only play games several years old. Or, take our advice, and maybe save up for a bit, then come back here and ask us to recommend parts for a new build.

Advertisements

bloodb

bloodb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
ok thats all you had to say and not try to be smart

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

to tell you the truth nobody ask you

Okay sure, this thread is starting to get a little confusing, but there is completely NO REASON to be rude in the forums. I dare say you can expect a warning from a moderator (if you haven't already) about this kind of behaviour. We are all volunteering our time and expertise, as stettybet0 has stated these forums are free and open, anyone can comment. I have not commented as the points stettybet0 has made are valid. Please be polite.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

Is my computer the best to build off of, Trying to make a gaming system

From the topic title it seems the short answer would be - no

2nd question does it make sense to build a system a part at a time over a extended period of time ? - no

but there is completely NO REASON to be rude in the forums.

everyone involved in this topic is becoming borderline rude

bloodb,
When starting a topic its best and you would get the best advise if you are to give as much info as possible ,
i.e I have x amount of money at this time to spend on upgrading my computer,,,, these are my specs off my existing machine,,, this is what I would like to do with it,,,, does it make sense to add on to or upgrade this system and if so with what ?
If I were to build a machine for gaming could I use bits and pieces off my existing machine if so what and what would I need to buy and what would it cost approximately ?

Lets say we try this again and place nice :whistling:
this topic will be under mod review to be sure everyone does place nice