Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Directx 9.0 Help

• Please log in to reply

Cpaxson

Cpaxson

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Computer Science class is working with Managed Directx 9.0 in an attempt to learn game programming, but we've encountered numerous problems with Directx... whenever we try to compile and execute, we get an InvalidCallException when we try to instantiate a new device...

device = new Device(0, DeviceType.Hardware, this, CreateFlags.SoftwareVertexProcessing, presentPerams);

This is the first example from the book... you create a revolving triangle... and we can't work out the problem... we've tried re-installing a clean OS... re-installing VS.NET... and reinstalling Directx 9 and all the updates... to no avail

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Edited by Cpaxson, 12 April 2005 - 06:29 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ooh, shudder, programming. I am a hardware/os guy....give a hardware tech a compiler and he's more dangerous than a programmer with a screwdriver.

That said, I stumbled upon this little piece of advice that helped someone else solve a very similar problem....I hope it helps, but I have truly no clue:

---------------------------

To see the unmanaged debug output which comes from the 
Direct3D debug runtime, you either have to run an external tool like 
dbmon.exe (Visual Studio Folder\Common7\Tools\Bin\winnt­) or enable unmanaged 
debugging in the solution properties in VS.NET (Configuration 
Properties/Debugging/Enable unmanaged debugging). 

You should at least get some output like 
444: Direct3D9: :====> ENTER: DLLMAIN(071c3950): Process Attach: ... 

And if you are lucky, you also see why the InvalidCallException is thrown. 

---------------------------

Also, from what I can tell, this problem occurs when you use old Direct3D assembly (version 1.0.900.0) and .NET 1.1 (VS.NET 2003)

The fix suggested was updating (if you had not) to the summer sdk update. Maybe you are experiencing a bug which has already been removed.

good luck

Edited by gerryf, 12 April 2005 - 06:46 AM.

Cpaxson

Cpaxson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
A little more information...

We're using Visual Studio.NET 2003... and we do have the summer 2003 SDK Directx 9 update

We've also tried the new April 2005 SDK, and that didn't work... we've tried numerous SDK's and still experience the same problem... thanks for the quick reply though

Edited by Cpaxson, 12 April 2005 - 06:58 AM.