Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Wireless keeps disconnecting when phone rings

• Please log in to reply

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I posted about this problem a while back. But I have a 2.4 ghz cordless phone and everytime it rings I loose internet on both of my wireless computers. You guys said to change the channel, and I did that. It worked for some time, but now the problem is back. I tired changing the channel but no luck at all. Is there any way to fix this problem besides buying a new cordless phone on a different frequency?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is almost always caused by a clash of frequencies. Cordless phones and wireless routers tend to share the same range of frequencies. Normally you get round this by changing the channel number on the router. Don't forget that cordless phones also use channel-changing technology to avoid interference with neighbours phones, for example. Its more than possible that the phone has changed its channel numbers to match the one used by your router.

If your router is near to the phone base, you may need to relocate it away from any bases, the interference is often caused when the base sends out a "I'm ringing" signal to the phones themselves. You often find that once you get past this point, there is no more interference for the duration of the call.