Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to manually block ports or a range of ports

• Please log in to reply

Phenom

Phenom

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I know there is software available to perform blocking of ports or ranges of ports. I have Zone Alarm Version 7.0.337.000 and I know that specific port blocking is not available from this firewall solution.

I know that specific ports can be allowed by TCP/IP filtering, but I was wondering if it is possible to use any of Microsoft's built in utilities to block specific ports.

I am not able to use the built in Windows XP firewall since I am running Zone Alarm.

I don't have Microsoft's support tools installed on this computer, but I can load them if they are necessary.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
with most firewalls....zonealarm included....the general concept is to start off blocking ALL PORTS...then only allow the ports you need open...this is a MUCH more effective method since it would take a while to block all possible ports...especially since the high numbered ports are all "fictional" ports created by the processes that use them...you could manually block all the low numbered reserved ports and common ports...