Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Desktops are gone!

• Please log in to reply

-}{riVard}{-

-}{riVard}{-

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, I recently did a spyware check with doctor spyware and it said i had to rebbot my computer to get rid of some infections, I did and when it started back up again all my desktop icons were gone! With my windows toolbar (the start button.)

The only thing that came up was my desktop folder with all my icons in it. (I can still go in my, my computer etc)
I don't know if it was the anti spyware that did it or what?

Other than that my computer is working fine.

Whats the problem? Help! :whistling:

Edited by -}{riVard}{-, 19 July 2007 - 08:09 AM.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Explorer.exe did not load. Ctl-Alt-Del keys pushed together will bring up Taskmanager. Click "File" and then "New task(Run)." In the box that displays type: explorer.exe This should start explorer and show the Taskbar and Start again.

-}{riVard}{-

-}{riVard}{-

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the tip...but should the taskbar come up immeditaly cause nothing is really happening.

Ohha yea and my documents pops up.

Edited by -}{riVard}{-, 19 July 2007 - 08:17 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi -}{riVard}{-...

Because all these symptoms can be caused by malware, I would suggest you start by letting our experts have a look at the problem first off.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions you'll find there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I must agree, especially since nothing seemed to happen when explorer was called. Malware should be eliminated as a cause.