Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont boot with more ram added

• Please log in to reply

WIMP

WIMP

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi guys!

This has been driving me mad for months, I've went and bought several different memory sticks and still can't get my computer to boot with upgrading to an additional 512MB

My system is a custom built AMD Sempron 2800+ my motherboard specs are here

Whenever I try to boot it with 3-512 it will get to the post and stop prior to the mem test and freeze, if I move the ram around it won't boot at all and will only beep

Is there a configuration in the bios that would help with this? I know the memory I've purchased is the correct type so why is it being so difficult

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Did the computer work before you bought the new RAM. Try using one stick of RAM at a time until you find one that works. I would go ahead and load your BIOS fail-safe settings or clear your CMOS to make sure the issue isn't in a configuration setting.

WIMP

WIMP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The computer works fine with the 2 sticks of 512, it just wont work with 3

All 3 have been tested and are fine, my question is how to get my computer to boot with the 3 installed

I really don't want to have to clear the cmos and lose all my settings, is there a particular setting that would be the cause of my woes?

Thanks again

Edited by WIMP, 19 July 2007 - 08:22 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

All 3 have been tested and are fine, my question is how to get my computer to boot with the 3 installed

does that mean you tried one stick at a time in the system? in the same slot each time or in all available slots? with each individual stick?

we're not psychic so we can't tell what you have or have not already tried

WIMP

WIMP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i apologize for not being very clear

I have tried all sticks in all slots, one by one, computer boots fine in all cases except when they are all togther

thank you :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there we go...do you know the make and model numbers for all the ram available? some ram manufacturers don't play well in the sandbox

WIMP

WIMP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The 2 that worked well are

Crucial 512MB PC2700/DDR-333 and Kingston 512MB 333MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2 (2-2-2-5-1) DIMM

I'm trying to add another Crucial which is the same as the one above

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried the old crucial and the new crucial together without the kingston? maybe the new crucial and the old kingston without the old crucial?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I'm thinking maybe changing BIOS setting from dual channel to single channel may fix it. That is if it is on dual channel to begin with.

mako2nv

mako2nv

• Pip
  • 6 posts
yer hey man i had same prob it may be that your mobo cant handle all the ram find out how much the mobo can hold may fix this problem

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
My mother board, which is an Intel 965lt also has a "Flex mode" for RAM set up. Which means it will work with 3 RAM sticks. Yours may not support this method of setup. Meaning that you may need a 4th stick to function properly. I am not sure about other motherboards capabilities to support 3 sticks in a dual channel setup. Some one else may know better than me but with some dual channel boards you need either 1 stick in each channel or 2 in each channel to work correctly. I may be wrong. Also make sure that all RAM has the same timings.