Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Numerous small to big troubles

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If it was able to convert to NTFS, then there is a file system on board...or part of one. This is likely the result of the floppy formatting to FAT32. That would explain it finding a file system to convert. Go ahead and try to install Windows. I am very suspicious of the overall health of your HDD, though.

Advertisements

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
really bad sign. Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged. I got that before but cloned a diffrent harddrive to mine, and it worked but really crudy and now im back to sq 1..i paid 40 bucks for HD and Caddy, really don't want to buy another, do you think that's all that i have as a choice now? I'm sick of all the errors saying currupt this currupt that..and its in fat32, making it run slower and less efficent. So do i buy a new HD?

Edited by nic777, 20 July 2007 - 10:20 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please go to post no. 2

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...try The Skeptic's suggestion in Post #2.

If that doesn't do the trick, I'm afraid your HDD is on it's way out.

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I don't quite understand this SeaTools program...what shall i select there's no "Format" option.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Sorry about my mistake. I meant Western Digital and not Seagate/maxtor.

Please use this link to download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (cd) and to create a bootable cd. When you bootup a menu shows up. Choose Write Zeros To Drive.

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
gee thanks now you tell me..lol ok

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Error, no Western Digital Drives found press any key to continue....

Edited by nic777, 21 July 2007 - 08:01 AM.