Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Three Illness' at once?

• Please log in to reply

jlayer

jlayer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Recently my laptop stopped reading all types of discs or marking them as blank. I checked for drivers but could not find any for my Phillips SDVD-RAM 8821. After and somewhat before my Windows kept throwing up various errors and some freezes. I was backing up my C drive when my ext started giving I/O errors. My recovery disc isn't working I've disk checked de-fragged and scan for viruses and adware to no avail. Im out of ideas and need my laptop for gaming and for work. Also to add to the problems I'm in Iraq surrounded by dust and extreme heats. I clean daily and air it out and keep it as cool as possible. what do i do from here im so lost and need help now! :whistling:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

It sounds from what you've told us, that your DVD drive has packed up. You also mentioned backing up to your 'ext' - I assume you mean an external drive but are you referring to an external hard drive or optical drive?

Have you tried running chkdsk over the c drive and if applicable, the external drive?

jlayer

jlayer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
well i thought that as a possibility with the dvd drive but i also thought maybe its a windows issue maybe? and i meant my ext hard drive im sure its to many bad sectors and i was looking into HDD regeneration but i can ttell if its real or not i need that drive c drive was disk checked and i didnt SEE any errors but that dosent mean there wasnt any now what?
thanks for th welcome

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I checked for drivers but could not find any for my Phillips SDVD-RAM 8821.

for this problem...just go to the laptop manufactures website to get the drivers...
if you have access to canned air..you could try blowing out the cd drive..
go here and get HDtune..click on the error scan tab...put a checkmark in the quick scan box the start the scan...use the other tools too...the health tab..look at the status coumn...does it say ok for everything..

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Excellent advice from happyrck. Let us know what the results are.

happyrck - love your sig by the way!

jlayer

jlayer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
quick scan gave me nothin but deep scan gave me i believe 6.6%of 300gb which i dunno is that enough to mess this thing up that bad i got a migraine from to much thinkin uggghhh

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
back up your data first...then run chkdsk...

Running chkdsk on your Windows XP or 2000 system can most often repair numerous minor Windows problems you may have experienced . Many people regularly run chkdsk as a part of their overall computer maintenance plan.

1. Click the Start button then select Run
2. In the Run window's Open box, type cmd ...
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing the following command where the cursor is blinking:
a. chkdsk c: /f /r and then press Enter...

5. a message will appear that says:"chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>"
6. Type y (for "yes") and then press Enter...
7. A message will appear that will say: "This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts"
8. Type exit and then press Enter... to close the MS-DOS-style black screen window
9. Reboot (restart) the computer as you normally would and chkdsk will automatically begin running after your reboot While chkdsk is running, you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

For more information about chkdsk, visit the Microsoft site here ..

Notes: it will sometimes get to say 70 % and then jump back to say 50 %...thats ok just let it run.....this can take a long time to complete...