Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DHCP Server 2003

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have one dhcp server right now in the domain. I have to DC's and want to have the second DC have dhcp so if the first server goes down, we can still get addresses.

The problem is our dhcp server is mostly reservations. No one on the network uses dhcp in its true sense, everyone has a reservation. There is a small pool of addresses it can give out for other stuff.

Can I just import the data into the second one, or will that cause conflicts.

Whats my best course (getting rid of reservations isnt it)

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for DHCP....copy your current DHCP server's settings to the new one...then disable the server....if the first one goes down...you just fire up the second one

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
There is no way to have a live backup running, so it just fails over without me having to intervene?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think there are ways to do failover etc... with DHCP but i've never done it...my domain has a setup like i suggested (one live dhcp and one innactive one)...i

doin some searching for "DHCP failover" there looks to be some third party deals for it maybe...MS says you can do it with clustering...but you need 2003 enterprise to cluster

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also seeing implementations of some linux DHCP sollutions that allow the clustering and failover...

as far as microsoft is concerned it's not doable unless it's clustered (at least from what i can find searching)....when the client requests a DHCP address it will only talk to the server that gave it the address...unless you do an ipconfig /release first...so if you had two servers....your machines would only talk to one of them....when you cluster the DHCP servers....they get a "fictional" ip address that sends the info to both servers...so your windows client things it's talking to the same machine (because of the DNS and ip information required for clustering) so they don't notice the difference

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Let me give you the background. Domain wise, Im fine with having the inactive one. But my vpn access from home, comes into the firewall then forwards the dhcp request to the dhcp server. Gives it to GVC and Im in.
If anything happens to that server I cannot connect remotely and have to drive into work.
I would like the flexability to still work remotely if the dhcp server is down or rebooting.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...the other suggested method would be to "split the scope" between the two...that way one group gets one DHCP server and the others get the other DHCP server...however with most of yours being done through reservations (sounds like a pain in the butt to me...might as well just do static ip's at that point) i don't think this would work

an idea to get around that would be to attempt to assign a static ip to your user on the dial in tab in AD...i THINK that would give you a static ip every time you VPN in since it would do that once you authenticate to the domain on the VPN...once again...never done it...but it's something to test

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I could try that, or I could create the second dhcp server, have a pool of addresses, and one reservation for my remote machine. Then create a second vpn connection with that IP in the firewall. This way it tries the first, if not there, it tries the second and lets me in. Seems like a waste to have a dhcp server for one address but it will save me alot of time.

Cant I export the existing dhcp that way if it goes down i just have to import it into the other one?