Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

opening links in outlook express in firefox

• Please log in to reply

suegy

suegy

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I use Outlook Express for my email, but on my laptop computer I cannot get online on Internet Explorer, so I can only surf the internet using Mozilla Firefox. Is there a way I can click on a link in an Outlook Express email and have it open up in Firefox?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

S. Gilson

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you set Firefox as your default browser?

Ron

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Regardless of your 'default browser' setting, Outlook Express will only open links in Internet Explorer because of the way both these applications are linked within the operating system -- since both IE and OE are Microsoft applications, the close integration of the two was intentional and inevitable. Despite having had to bow to a few legal challenges, Microsoft was allowed to get away with that one.

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Yes, Firefox is the default browser.

Thanks for the info - I was wondering if there was something with the Outlook Express and Internet Explorer that worked together like that, but thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks again.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry, Keith, but I use OE from time to time and 99% of the time, when I click a link in one of OE's emails, it opens in Firefox which is my default browser. Occasionally, the link coding causes the page to open IE, but not often. I just double checked this again and it opened in FF. I do have "Tell me if Internet Explorer is not my default browser" unchecked on Internet Options' Program tab.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 20 July 2007 - 01:54 PM.

VDL

VDL

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This problem was solved by the new update edition FF v. 2.0.0.5 set as default browser. If that still won't work try a clean uninstalling and reinstalling or use SetBrowser (see Google link)!