Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LCD Monitor Issues

• Please log in to reply

danakitty

danakitty

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there,

I only recently got a 19" widescreen Dell LCD monitor when my CTR blew up. I'm not familiar with LCDs at all, and after viewing some others at the store I got a little worried about the one I've got here.

Concerns being:

1.It seems to have some 'interferance' or 'noise' to it, first I thought it must be how LCDs display (lots of tiny moving pixels), but its worse now and not normal. I'm ignorant and don't know what caused or how to fix the issue.

2. Darker up the top on a normal viewing angle. Not very noticeable on light colours, quite on dark ones. Is this normal or not? The ones in the stores weren't like this even at odder viewing angels.

The monitor seemed to get very good online reviews, I'm worried that mines defective or something :whistling:

Edited by danakitty, 19 July 2007 - 08:25 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You need to make sure that the resolution is the native resolution for the LCD monitor. It is not pretty when you run it at different settings. The size and the refresh rate needs to be correct.

I am not sure about your #2 issue.

danakitty

danakitty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

You need to make sure that the resolution is the native resolution for the LCD monitor. It is not pretty when you run it at different settings. The size and the refresh rate needs to be correct.

I am not sure about your #2 issue.

Thanks your your help!
I've set it to the native resolution, normal refesh rate, reboot and still no change though.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
When you say "normal refresh rate", do you mean for a CRT or LCD? It is set to what the LCD suggests?

You could check the cable and if you have access to another machine, try the monitor on another machine to see if it has a problem there. If it follow the monitor, then it sounds like it has a problem.

danakitty

danakitty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yep, refresh rate recommended for the LCD.

I hooked it up to another machine a few days ago, no change on both issues however. I'm going to be ringing Dell on Monday, I read about somebody with the same issue of the dark gradient which turned out to be a defective monitor, so we'll see.

Thanks! =)

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Did you use a different video cable? If so, then everything would tend to point to a problem with the monitor, if not, then it could be the cable or the monitor and using another cable (assuming it is not attached to the monitor) would isolate it. The only other issue I could think of would be a power issue, but I would doubt that would be the case (just a thought).

When you tried it on the other machine, was the location different? That would help to ensure that there is nothing causing it in the area which you have it (power in the walls, etc. can sometimes cause problems).

It does sound like a problem to take up with Dell though.