Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade old pc

• Please log in to reply

uips

uips

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, we currently have an old system that we just use for internet access.

Mobo Specs: Asus P4GE-FSC (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 DDR DIMM, Video)
Intel Brookdale-G i845GE

Anyway... the mobo is notoriously difficult for me to find info on and i wanted to get a spare processor off a mate (Intel Celeron D 2.8Ghz SL7DM Philippines or Intel Celeron D 2.8Ghz SL7NW Malay) that i could use instead of the current one (Intel celeron 2633mhz northwood) just wondering anyway if anyone could foresee any problems upgrading to one of these? not much of an upgrade i know but nonetheless...
Also the bios is from 2003 and could probably use an upgrade, any pointers on where to get one for it? i tried the asus site but no joy there, and the fact that the mobo is OEM probably doesn't help.....

thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Asus P4GE-FSC is a special butchered board made by Asus for Fujitsu-Simens. Therefore any support and BIOS updates there is will be available from Fujitsu-Siemens only.

Having said that, upgrading Celerons is often a fruitless task as they aren't very good processors anyway. Therefore the difference between your 2633Mhz and a 2.8Ghz won't be very noticeable.

uips

uips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hmm yeah, i though that would be the case. What would you recommend for a budget mobo/cpu/ram upgrade? and thanks for your time so far.