Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Using another hard drive in my Inspiron 5100...

• Please log in to reply

Miss Zombie

Miss Zombie

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have an Inspiron 4150 but it has turned into roadkill. I also have an Inspiron 5100, so I took the hard drive out of my 4150 in order to recover my data from the dead laptop and put it into the 5100. It is the EXACT same HD but when I start the computer up it goes to the XP screen then goes to a blue screen which says, "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

" If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it us properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF8955640,0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) "

I tried to run CHKDSK /F put it said it is not a valid command. I also tried CHKDSK /P, which found an error, then CHKDSK /R which repaired it.

Does anyone know a way to resolve this so I can boot my HD up? I'd greatly appreciate it. :whistling:

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
If you've taken the Inspiron 5100 original hard drive out to do this, then it sounds like you'll need to put the original hard drive back in and then connect your 4150 hard drive externally (like with a separate case from the shop) with USB. The 5100 should boot fine then, because it's got the original drive back (with the good system), then plug in your other drive and it should come up in Windows Explorer.

Is this the case?

Miss Zombie

Miss Zombie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

If you've taken the Inspiron 5100 original hard drive out to do this, then it sounds like you'll need to put the original hard drive back in and then connect your 4150 hard drive externally (like with a separate case from the shop) with USB.

What exactly do you mean "seperate case"? Like the orginal computer that the 4150 hd is in? Sorry I am not understanding. :whistling:

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I bleieve he is refering to a hard drive enclosure such as this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817171012.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Titan8990 that is right, but how did you know to link to the exact external case I have? Spooky...

Although I thought laptop hard drives are smaller, so you would need a different one than that. You'll need to find out what size hard drives they are and find an external case manufactured for that.

Miss Zombie

Miss Zombie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Titan8990 that is right, but how did you know to link to the exact external case I have? Spooky...

Although I thought laptop hard drives are smaller, so you would need a different one than that. You'll need to find out what size hard drives they are and find an external case manufactured for that.

Well, I went to circuit city today and bought this... http://www.circuitci...roductDetail.do

unfortunately the IDE plugin doesn't fit the HD.

This is what my HD plug looks like .. click

This is what the enclosures plug looks like .. click

Any suggestions?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

Yes I am quoting myself here. I might suggest, then, that you take the drive into the shop you went to (along with the external case and receipt) so you can exchange and get one that fits.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
As already stated.
You have a laptop. The laptop HD is 2.5 inch
A standard HD is 3.5 inch.
Your enclosure is for a standard 3.5 inch. You need an enclosure for a 2.5 inch laptop HD.

Miss Zombie

Miss Zombie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

As already stated.
Your enclosure is for a standard 3.5 inch. You need an enclosure for a 2.5 inch laptop HD.

I went and bought the 2.5 inch one before I read this and luckily I was right. It works but since I had a password on my XP account on my dead laptop I can't get into my "Owner" directory. It is telling me that the file is not accessible, "Access Denied". I am sorry I am such a pain but I have googled myself to death trying to find how to fix this.. does anyone know how I can get arround this?

Miss Zombie

Miss Zombie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

As already stated.

I went and bought the 2.5 inch one before I read this and luckily I was right. It works but since I had a password on my XP account on my dead laptop I can't get into my "Owner" directory. It is telling me that the file is not accessible, "Access Denied". I am sorry I am such a pain but I have googled myself to death trying to find how to fix this.. does anyone know how I can get arround this?

I figured it out. Nevermind.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Well done! So everything has been sorted, then? Were you able to recover all the data you needed successfully?