Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java

• Please log in to reply

Randy M

Randy M

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all

I am having issues with Java. I am using Windows XP SP2 and also IE version 7 and Firefox 2.0.0.5. Everytime I open a website that uses Java on any of those browsers on my laptop, the browsers hang up! Everything freezes and I need to shut down the browsers using Ctrl-Alt-Del.
I have been having this problem even after I uninistalled (from add/remove programs) Java. I reinstalled the latest version of Java after that.

Please help me!

Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Have you installed the appropriate release of Java? There's one for java developers, and one for those who just want to run java-based applications on their PC, like most of us, and it's called 'JRE' or the 'Java Runtime Environment'.

Randy M

Randy M

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello I have Java 6 update 2 ? Is that the same thing as "Java Runtime Environment"?

I checked it by going to control panel>add/remove programs.

LionKing

LionKing

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes indeed :whistling: its the same thing as java runtime environment and looks like you have the latest JRE installed.
Tell me one thing, when your browser ( or PC) freezes if you open/visit java enabled website do you see a cup/plate in your taskbar ???
If no please wait for a second or two, sometimes you may want to wait 30 secs. :blink:
Well if it still dont work you may like to check if its the content you are trying to visit causing the problem or the JRE. Try visit some other websites like yahoo games or something and see if it still happpens.
You said "browsers", this means you are using many browsers, that means its likely that the problem is caused by JRE not website.
Sometimes if you are running out of memory this problem can occur, make sure you have some RAM available, try closing unwanted programs and removing few unwanted processes from taskbar (only those processes that you know off ).
Correct me if i am wrong, but if still the problem persists, Try reinstalling it, make sure you clean all logs or directories left behind after uninstall.
The latest update wroks for me fine and i have same config as yours.
If the problem is not solved, we will test if its the JRE is causing the problem or not by another mean.
Regards

Edited by LionKing, 23 July 2007 - 06:52 PM.