Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Severe Audio Lag

• Please log in to reply

ScottC1200

ScottC1200

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello -
Everytime audio is played on my computer it sounds bogged down. This even happens on startup when Windows plays its start up sound effect. If I play an MP3 from my hard drive, regardless of what type of player I use, it does the same thing. It reminds me as if I am playing a file straight from the internet and it hasnt buffered all the way and its choppy. I thought it might be a virus or malware running in the background and sucking up resources but I had a complete analysis by the malware team and we performed everything I needed to do to have a clean system bill of health. I was wondering if somebody else has ever experienced anything like this and knows of a solution. Thanks,
S.C.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Before we start updating drivers, lets cleanup and optimize your system

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 onlyDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

----------
----------

Prefetch is clickable for more information

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run defragmenter

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Edited by starjax, 20 July 2007 - 05:48 PM.

ScottC1200

ScottC1200

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for the reply Starjax.
O.K. I've Completed all that. My system is optimized. CPU still has the same lagging audio symptoms.
S.C.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what are your system specs?

ScottC1200

ScottC1200

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have a HP pavilion ze1210 Laptop
AMD Athlon +1400
1.2 GHz , 240 ram, 20G HD

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well, it comes down to hw vs software. You could upgrade to a faster (5400 or 7200 rpm) or larger (40gig) hard drive. Your system certainly could benefit from a bit more memory. If you don't have at least 4gigs of free space available on your hard drive then that is what I would look into upgrading. Your system is right on the borderline where it may not make sense on spending money to upgrade.

On the other hand it could be some software, driver, or left over file that is causing the issue. I think maybe the best idea, and cheapest would be to consider doing a fresh install of the os/software. Naturally you will have to backup you data that you don't want to loose.

Because this is a laptop, our options are more limited.