Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading to SATA Hardrives

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I am planning on upgrading my 2 IDE hardrives to 1 500 gig. SATA hardrive. I have an 80 gig primary hardrive that has my operating system and various files, and I have a 160 gig hardrive with videos, movies, etc. on it. In addition I have a DVD combo drive, and I recently added a DVD burner to my computer... so all My IDE positions are occupied. The main reason I want to switch to SATA is that I've noticed my hardrive is getting a little slower, or I've just gotten tired of it's normal speed. I also want to clean up the clutter with the ribbon cables and make better air flow. Now my question is, will this hardrive be alright, and for it's price I hope it is : www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101258-9 . I'm also wondering if the 3.0 speed is compatible with my motherboard... I was deciding between that and the 1.5, and I'm truly wondering if I'll notice much of a difference between the 2. Also, with having an SATA drive, I was wondering if I am still able to have IDE drives run simutaneously... Like if I wanted to keep my other drives, and add them for additional storage later on. I plan building one into an external enclosure for an external hardrive when I do all this. And I'm also wondering if this will speed up the transfer of my DVD roms by eliminating the traffic on the ribbon cables, and leaving them to be on seperate cables. I was also considering upgrading my operating system to windows vista home premium around christmas, I was wondering if you thought it would be a good idea at the moment or if I should wait longer to upgrade, and if my system with those specs, and my current specs will be compatible

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me, and I"m sure this is probably the easiest of all my questions asked.

FYI
all my hardrives are 7200 RPM, 8 mb cache
I don't know how to over clock my video card, and I've noticed it has been running slower than what it used to run as when I first got it... wondering if I could try a slight over clock to see if it will improve performance.

Advertisements

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Can anyone tell me that an SATA hardrive, and an IDE hardrive can work at the same time?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes because I'm doing it :whistling:

Can you post all your computer specs? Like make and model, or manufacturers names and models of each component - in particular, your motherboard. I recommend you buy the SATA 3.0GB/s drive because it will be backwards-compatible to 1.5GB/s. Also I looked up that link and it says out of stock.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One thing you should know is that very large drives are not as reliable as smaller drives so I don't recommend them for for your boot device, only for storage. You can get converters that let you run IDE from a SATA board and vice versa. Some boards will support both types of drives, and CD and DVD devices are beginning to show up with SATA.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
alright thanks for the help..... I'm planning on purchasing these down the road, so I'm not worried about them being out of stock.

Oh and I was wondering if anyone knows of any components that go in the PCI express x1 slots... I have 3 of them unused, and still wondering what goes in them.

My specs are:
Athalon 4200+ X2 2.21 ghz
2gigz of 2.5 latency Corsair (DDR 400) PC3200 RAM
ABIT KN8 Motherboard
ATI x800 GTO 256mb Graphics card (which I would like to know how to overclock, and might think about replacing)
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 5.1 sound card
500 Watt Ultra X Connect Modular powersupply
Linksys Wireless G Card
Firewire card
80 gig seagate 7200rpm IDE hardrive 8 mb cache
150 gig western digital 7200rpm IDE Hardrive 8mb cache

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What goes in the PCI slots? Anything you want. You could add some USB2.0 ports, put in a minicam card, another network card, etc. etc.