Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with standby mode running two HDD

• Please log in to reply

jamnliz

jamnliz

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have an ACER Desktop XP Home Edition system approx 2 years old. 40GB FAT32 HDD, 512MB RAM. This system has a Standby Option as part of its shut down options. The original system has caused me no problem at all. I aquired a HP desktop system also about 2 years old and with similar operating characteristics apart from the HDD being a 40GB NTFS file system.
This second system had a problem with its services.exe causing errors (Not virus related) I decided to have titu and decided to take the HDD from the HP system, install it on the ACER system as a second slave drive, format the disk and use it to extend my HDD capacity. This went without a hitch and I was happy as. I formatted the HP hard disk which is divided into two partitions and everything went well.

After restarting it a couple of times everything went well until I put it into Standby. (On the ACER system standby was installed on the HP system it was not) After trying to restart from standby the computer stopped responding with a blank screen. Even after powering it off it still wouldn't reboot until I disconnected the power from the second HDD. IT then fired up like normal and I was able to reconnect the second HDD drive and use it.

Has anyone got any thoughts of how I can get the system to work so that the Standby option works well with both disks connected and doesn't bung up when coming out of standby mood?

PS I tried to change the HP HDD to FAT32 file system to see if this would work. I was able to do this on one of the partitions but not the second one.

Cheers

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try: Control Panel > Power Options. Put "never" in Turn off Monitor. "Never" in Turn Off Hard Disk. 20 minutes or whatever you consider reasonbable for System Standby.

jamnliz

jamnliz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply. I don't think its a monitor setup problem. I think its some kind of inconpatibility issue that arose when I installed the second HDD. I'm just not sure what it is. When I put the system onto standby it closes down ok. When I go to bring it out of standby the fan goes mad but the system seems to stop responding and the only thing I can do is power off the computer. I then need to disconect the second drive before it will reboot. Cheers

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What I suggested is only partly related to the monitor. What I suggested is a power scheme that includes the entire system, including the hard disks and monitor. Since it takes about two minutes to perform I suggest to you try this. Computer repairs are almost, by nature, a sensible trial and error and elimination of possibilities business, starting from the easy, moving progressively into the more involved.

jamnliz

jamnliz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Skeptic,
Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion and had the same result. Any other thoughts? Cheers

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to jumper both disks as cable select and make sure that the disk with the operating system is connected to the end connector of the cable.

If this doesn't help try to connect the hp disk to IDE 2, meaning the other flat cable, and see if it makes any difference.

jamnliz

jamnliz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Skeptic,

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried them both. Unfortunately the system wouldn't fire up under any configuration other than Master/Slave configuration on IDE1. Any other alternative just resulted in an error saying LDTP missing please push CTR-ALT-DEL. What do you think the next step is? Cheers

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
That's strange and shouldn't be like that. Please try the following:

1: Enter BIOS and set it to default values.

2: Go to Device Manager, expand "DVD/CD rom devices", right click and un-install the drivers. Reboot.

3: If you have the drivers disk of the computer try to re-install chipset or ide drivers.

4: If possible try to rig the HP disk to another computer and see if the stabdby problem persists.

Edited by The Skeptic, 25 July 2007 - 12:24 AM.