Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel Duo Core vs Intel Core 2 Duo

• Please log in to reply

confusedinMich

confusedinMich

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I need to know exactly what I am talking about before I contact the support people about my computer and thought this would be a good place to ask.
I purchased a computer with Intel Duo Core 3.0GHz processor and an NVidia GeForce 7900 GS 256 MG The manufacturer is going to be replacing this one and it will have Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz processor and a 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8300GS

My question(s) is the Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 better than the Intel Duo Core 3.0GHz? What about the video card? Is the newer one better than the one I had?

Thanks for any/all help

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
As far as the processor goes, they will be giving you a slower processor "speed". I would get them to stick with the 3.0 GHz processor. I tried to find a comparison on the NVIDIA GeForce cards. Didn't come up with anything in a quick search. You may be getting a better video card with less video onboard memory. Personally, I wouldn't let them sub for anything less. Either equal or better.

Hopefully, someone will post with more info on video cards so you can be well informed.

Ron

P.S. Found one chart comparison:

GeForce Comparisons

The 8300S wasn't listed.

This is NVidia's in PDF:

NVidia PDF

Nothing on a 8300S, but a 8300GS:

8300 Series

Geforce 7900

Edited by Major Payne, 20 July 2007 - 01:35 PM.

confusedinMich

confusedinMich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thank you for responding. I think I made an error about the processor. I kept the order details of what I purchased and it says: Intel Pentium D Processor 930 (3.0GHz) w/Dual Core Technology. In my Computer properties/device manager/hardware device it shows Intel Pentium D CPU 3.0GHz It shows this twice. In System Information it shows Processor X86 Family 15 model 6 stepping 4 GenuineIntel~2992MHz twice. I have a feeling that the words W/Dual Core Technology mean something different than the Intel Core 2 Duo. Am I right? I was told the Core 2 Duo was faster and that I should times the 1.86 by 2 and it would be more than 3.0. I got a bit impatient :whistling: and contacted the support guys for my computer. I expressed my concern about having paid for the 256 NVidia GeForce 7900 GS and getting the 128 GeForce 8300GS and he said it was a better video card and that I wouldn't see much difference.

Thank you again for your help.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I'll try to clear this up for you Mich. The Core 2 Duo is built on entirely different technology than the Pentium D. Therefore, the GHz don't really mean anything in this case. I would go with the Core 2 Duo definitely, as it will smoke the Pentium D, and it is much more energy efficient and runs cooler. You can also easily overclock it to 3GHz if you want.

As for the Video cards, the 7900GS is a better card than the 8300GS, but neither is really meant for gaming, if that's what you are planning on doing. The only thing the 8300GS has going for it is that it is a DX10 card, but it's kind of ironic since it won't have enough graphics power to run any DX10 games really...