Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

booting up using USB device

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I think this is the right forum for this. I have a little problem reformatting my computer. It has windows xp professional with service pack 2 installed on it; however, i have a windows xp sp1 disk so if i try reformatting it when i go into my computer and directly accessing the cd it would not work.

The computer does not have a cdrom drive installed, so i am using an external cdrom drive.

Is there anyway to boot up using a usb device, or is there anyway to reformat it without having sp2.

It is a dell computer optiplex gx50 (the cdrom drive was removed)

Thank you

Edited by mrq201, 20 July 2007 - 11:16 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Is there anyway to boot up using a usb device

You should be able to select this in the BIOS, under a heading called "Boot Sequence" or something similar. Every BIOS is different.