Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can we improve Geeks to Go?

• Please log in to reply

Odal

Odal

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Beep9362, I recommend the firefox extension "NoSquint." It allows you to set a global zoom level for text, images, etc that overrides all webpages' default sizes. You can also set exceptions, for example if you want one webpage to have slightly larger font while keeping the default size for other sites the same.

I recommend changing the default full page zoom to a normal 100% so the entire page doesn't look zoomed in, then adjust the global text zoom to your liking. Note that on some sites, increasing the font size can break the layout (basically, make the text overflow its normal boundaries) so this is where the site-by-site adjustments come in handy.

Hope this helps.

Advertisements

Double_D_Edd

Double_D_Edd

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Is is possible to clarify to the first-time visitors that certain forums allow only staff members to reply to their topics? I've noticed some folks (those who have gotten little or no help) look at the amount of views their topics have received, leading them into assuming that the staff members aren't replying to them deliberately. Few topics I found:

http://www.geekstogo..._1#entry1919027

http://www.geekstogo...thanks-anyways/

Maybe including a note or editing the following Forum Rules for the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal section would help, since that seems to be the most popular section for malware issues.

Malware Removal Forum Rules
Follow the steps in our Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide before starting a new topic.

Put the type of infection in the "Topic Title", e.g. Google Redirect, Personal Antivirus, Backdoor.Win32, etc. Use the "Topic Description" to include more infection details. Since some staff are more familiar with certain infections, this will help get the fastest response.

Please only post your topic once. Duplicate posts will be closed, and just create additional work for the staff members trying to help you. Do not 'bump' or reply to your own topic. We look first for posts with no replies, and we start with the oldest posts and work forward. Bumping will delay a reply.

Thanks!

-Edd

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
The truth of the matter is, there are people who will never read instructions. We still have people post HJT logs, and we haven't used those in over 18 months. People post logs with no description whatsoever of their problem, which makes it hard for our helpers to help them, but we clearly ask for an explanation of the issue. While we can certainly review the instructions that are currently posted, there will always be a certain percentage of our members who don't follow them.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Interesting feedback Edd. We used to have that content in the forum rules, but then we modified the forum software that prevented non-staff members from replying. While this takes care of people who are trying to reply to malware topics, it doesn't address the issue for those waiting for a reply.

Double_D_Edd

Double_D_Edd

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

The truth of the matter is, there are people who will never read instructions. We still have people post HJT logs, and we haven't used those in over 18 months. People post logs with no description whatsoever of their problem, which makes it hard for our helpers to help them, but we clearly ask for an explanation of the issue. While we can certainly review the instructions that are currently posted, there will always be a certain percentage of our members who don't follow them.

You're absolutely right. Unfortunately, there are folks out there who do not make the effort to read the instructions. I did realize that while posting my feedback, but I just assured myself that it wouldn't be a problem :D

Interesting feedback Edd. We used to have that content in the forum rules, but then we modified the forum software that prevented non-staff members from replying. While this takes care of people who are trying to reply to malware topics, it doesn't address the issue for those waiting for a reply.

My point exactly ;)

-Edd

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I just updated it. :D

Double_D_Edd

Double_D_Edd

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

I just updated it. :D

Looks great! Thanks! ;)

beep9362

beep9362

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
thanks for the info, everyone.
just checking out NoSquint

Edited by beep9362, 02 November 2010 - 04:55 PM.

MS-Free

MS-Free

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
It would appear there's an RSS feed available for subscription for every forum... with the notable exception of the private forums...

Would it be possible to get a feed for GeekU? It appears RSS has an option for required authentication, don't know how it's implemented though...

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Your best option is to subscribe to the forum, then you'll receive email notification of all new topics. I doubt we'll ever add RSS feeds for private forums.

Advertisements

MS-Free

MS-Free

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
Subscribe... right.... only problem with that is I actually check here more often then I check my e-mail...

Not a big deal, though... I don't use RSS that often... was more of a whimsical proposal...

On a complete unrelated note - I liked the sound of the "Related topics" proposal (a la the Ubuntu forum) suggested earlier in this topic (post #10) - what ever came of that idea? Too tough to implement?

Edited by MS-Free, 29 November 2010 - 12:07 PM.

Ehsanit

Ehsanit

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I know it's nothing serious, but it's a bit annoying to have the "Advertisements do not imply...join to remove the ads" at the bottom when you have joined, have logged in, and aren't seeing any ads!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Good point. Fixed!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts