Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can we improve Geeks to Go?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure if Facebook allows it but I was thinking like a Homepage in our profiles.

Advertisements

MS-Free

MS-Free

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
Just Noticed you're "After Dark" skin. I like it. Sleek. One problem though: the "Begin Here:" for Spyware & Malware removal, is very unreadable on my monitor. I don't think I would have even noticed there was text in the silver Highlight if I didn't know it was supposed to be there.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Yes there are a number of tweaks needed. However, a dark skin will never appear perfect on a site designed for a light skin.

Kasey21

Kasey21

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I'm not sure if this was brought up or if this is the right spot for this, but have you thought about making a "Thank You" button for posts. A lot of forums that I use have this option. I know this site already had the +Like button, but I kinda like the idea of knowing who you are being thanked by if they don't post it :) . Anyways here is an example of the idea:

http://forum.onemang...811&postcount=1

Ofc it doesn't have to be exactly like that. It could be the same setup this site has except it lists the people who thanked you. And if you allow guests to use the feature it would say "and ## guests" after the list of users who thanked.

Not sure if this is just a great idea or just one of those "false feelings" you get where everyone else thinks the opposite :unsure:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
That's really a feature seen more often on vBulletin forums. There are a number of improvements to the "like" system in the next version of our forums software (IP.Board) due out soon.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
I think G2G needs some performance tweaking. Browsing, especially scrolling, is really laggy and slow comparing to other sites.
Maybe it's due to the bloated CSS/scripts?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Really? What browser? I don't experience those issues, and in fact, we just migrated to a new and better server and overall speed and performance have improved noticeably for most people. I'm currently on a little netbook running XP with 1 gb ram and I don't see any lag at all. I'll have admin poke his nose in here, however.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
I use Firefox 4.0.1 on Ubuntu Natty with ABP, NoScript and several addons installed.
Well, my computer is ancient (Pentium 4) so it is probably slower than your netbook :)
Most sites, even BC which also uses IP.Board, scroll smoothly; Firefox just chokes on G2G.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I would wager we have a smaller page size on average than most similar sites, because we do make extensive use of CSS instead of images, and our images are all optimized. 'Bloated' CSS and Javascript will be very similarly sized at all IPB sites, and are only loaded on the first page view. After that it's cached by your browser.

I'd put our page generation time, page loading speed, and page size up against any other IPB3 forum. We have more improvements yet to come. The problem isn't with the site, it's with your system. You're using a modern browser on an ancient system. The default G2G skin does make extensive use of CSS3. Rounded corners, shadows, gradients. You get poor 'scrolling performance' because your system's lag processing them, not the website or server. I'd suggest you try an alternate skin (classic, IPB default).

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Sure, it's mainly my computer's problem...
Switching to IPB Classic cured it.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
How's the speed compare since you changed skins?

It's something I will keep in mind when refreshing the skin.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
IPB Classic fixed the problem somewhat. It lags little now..

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Do you understand it's not possible for a web server to affect your scrolling performance?

If you're logged in, and look at the lower right corner of the screen (near the time), you'll find 3 sets of numbers for queries, server load, and page generation time. Page generation time is the amount of time it takes the server to generate the page before sending it to you. On this page, it was 0.1177 (or just over one tenth of a second). The remainder of the time it takes the page to fully load depends on your connection speed, and distance from the server (latency). Once the page has loaded, any scrolling performance is solely dependent on your system.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Of course I understand that, I was just commenting that my PC is not good enough to load all that stylesheets/scripts.

hugoboss00007

hugoboss00007

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I run into a lot of Outlook issues daily and a section on that would be helpful I think...cheers :)