Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can we improve Geeks to Go?

• Please log in to reply

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

It would be nice to have a test or scribble area like Bleeping does.
Although, I guess there would have to be one in the private forums and in the regular forums.
My main reason for wanting it is for my PL's so that I can make sure any BB code that I use is working right.

Have you looked into Fass ?

Advertisements

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Thank You Don77 :whistling:
That is exactly what I needed.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Your very welcome :whistling:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
From the Terms of Use:

Help is permitted in the forums only. No support is offered, or allowed via Personal Message or email.

I was wondering if this could be changed to include information about the Live Chat function. My example:

Help is permitted in the forums (including Live Chat) only. No support is offered, or allowed via Personal Message or email.

Just an idea as I'm researching Tech Apprentice logs... :)

Stinky Britches

Stinky Britches

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Because we have many Hewlett Packard PC's in my house I've used the Home PC / desktop section of their volunteer Forum a few times. A nice feature I've noticed they use is an icon by the title of a completed successful thread to signify that the post has been answered in full. It's kind of cutesy, but they use a little magicians top hat with a bunny popping out to signify the "magic answer" can be found to that question in that thread. I realize for that to work you would also have to have the positive feedback from the original poster, which I've noticed is absent on GtoG here and there (not that you good folks are to blame for that - the users who seek help should follow-through, not only to let you know if a thread may be closed but also to give a well-deserved 'thank you' as well).
that's my 2 cents. Thanks for listening and as always: thank you to everyone at Geeks to Go! You're #1 with me!

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
We close all completed threads in the Malware Removal forum because we can tell when a computer is clean.

This is not so with a hardware problem. The same user may end up with a question a week or so after they have been helped. We would rather have the user continue in the same thread than start a new thread about the same issue.

Mike in Dayton

Mike in Dayton

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Although I haven't been helped yet, I appreciate all that you people do. It's truely amazing, especially on a volunteer basis.

The only thing that would be nice (but I doubt that it would work) would be a counter or some way of knowing when you're going to be helped. I know in forums like this, it's first come- first serve but it's hard to track who's in front of you or if your going to get skipped. At least there is a waiting room to catch the eye of a tech after a certain time frame.

Well, that's my two cents worth, which probably isn't worth anything.

Thanks again for all that you folks do!!!

Edited by Mike in Dayton, 08 April 2008 - 03:25 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Mike in Dayton,

You're right - the idea likely wouldn't work, for a multitude of reasons. First off, we get hundreds of posts a day, ranging from malware to hardware to applications to website design. Except for the malware, where only trusted helpers can reply, we have staff members and regular members replying to topics. Some topics never get replies because there is no one who can answer the question. Some topics get a lot of replies because it's a subject that a lot of people know. I do know that staff members look at all the forums regularly, and typically check recent posts that haven't been answered, but because of time zone differences and varying areas of expertise, there's no way to say that your topic is 10th in line and will be answered in 4 hours, or something along those lines.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
To expand on Sari's already excellent answer, forums are sometimes referred to as electronic bulletin boards. That's a good analogy of how we work here. You have a problem and it get's pinned to a bulletin board. Others come along and review the bulletin boards to see where they are able to offer help. Some get answers right away, others may have to wait awhile until someone comes along that's able to help.

What your suggesting would be more like an in/out box. First one in equals first one out. While it makes sense to those waiting for help, it would be very difficult for those offering it.

Hope this helps. :)

Mike in Dayton

Mike in Dayton

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Just to let everyone know that I was not complaining. I merely saw the topic on how to improve and merely posted a bad idea. I guess it's not going to look so good for a geek in training :)

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
No worries. It wasn't viewed as a complaint. Even if we forget to say it, we do welcome all feedback! :)

thanx4urhelp

thanx4urhelp

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
While I appreciate the efforts that have been made on my computer problem, I must say it has taken a long time (since 31 March) and it is still not fixed.

I don't understand what the chatroom is for. If I go in there, they say to post the problem in the forum. Then no one looks at it for at least 3 days. The forum is a very slow process because it usually takes about a day to hear back from someone for each little step. There is no indication that anyone in the chatroom is available or how busy they are. I find the chatroom very uncomfortable because the we are supposed to explain the whole problem and then have no idea if anyone is even paying attention. Why can't someone say s/he is available and offer to help? Or why can't there be some indication by their name that they are busy with someone already or they are available? What is are the techs doing in there if they aren't helping people? Why is it taboo to just get help in there and keep it simple?

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hi thanx4urhelp,
Your questions depend on alot of factors. While there may appear to be many people in the chat room, the chatters are from different parts of the world and may not be able to answer your question at the time you ask it. Some people might not be next to the computer when you ask your question, or some may not know the answer so they do not respond, and some problems are complicated and can't be addressed in the chat. I answer questions when I have the time, and if I know (or can find) the answer. Some users enter, ask the question and leave less than a minute later (not even enough time for a toilet break).
Alot of people come and go through the chat, some get there problems adressed, some do not, but we do try to get them resolved.
Ask your question, wait around for a while (15 to 20 mins) to see if anybody responds, if its busy, wait a little longer, then come back a few hours later and ask again to see if someone who is able to answer your question is next to the computer.

Try to introduce yourself first, a simple Hi or better yet: is anybody around to help with a networking issue? can identify your problem to knowledgable helpers and save you from alot of typing a detailed question if nobody is around.

:)

thanx4urhelp

thanx4urhelp

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi sarahw,

Are there any times that are better to get help in the chatroom?
Are the techs in the chatroom there to help people through chat or are they there for some other reason?
Working through the chatroom seems to be quicker than the forum.

Edited by thanx4urhelp, 05 May 2008 - 04:36 AM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
The chat was never intended to be a "get fixed quick" solution. If your problem is a simple one, where an answer can be found quickly, then the folks in chat are there to help. If you are having a problem getting on the forum or finding things on the forum, then the chat is a good place to go.

If you have an in-depth problem that is going to require more help, then you will be directed towards the forum. On the forum, you have the experience of the entire staff. If someone is helping you and they get stuck, someone else can jump in. Only a small contingent of our full staff go into chat, so the full wealth of information is not available there.

The main benefit of helping on the forum versus chat is that everything said on the forum stays there forever. People who have the same problem as you can come, read your thread months later, and benefit from the answer you receive.