Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can we improve Geeks to Go?

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

That option has been discussed repeatedly, more times can I care to remember.

When a malware log is clean, we have verification of that. With hardware/software problems, you can never really be sure if the machine is fixed. You may have dealt with a symptom and think things are going well, but the problem comes back in a few days.

In short, it will likely not ever happen. Thanks for your feedback!

Actually I'm not so sure about that, ScHwErV. Just an example, if someone creates a hardware thread "My Computer Does Not Start". After some troubleshooting the OP is advised to replace the PSU with a new one and then the machine starts up. I would call that solved.

Obviously there are threads which don't work out 100% like that, but it could be handy? That's all I was saying.

Troy

Advertisements

chamber

chamber

Face Burnin' Malware Fighter

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
They used to do this in the Ubuntu forums before they had a server crash.

The user could mark the thread as solved if they felt that their problem had been taken care of, made it quite easy to troubleshoot your own problems.

Not quite sure if it would work for everything here and I did notice that after they had a major server problem it was one of the first things that went.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
It could even be implemented without moving the thread. Just add a [S] or something to the beginning of the topic, making a multi-mod for it.

techvech

techvech

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hi !!
I have been using this excellent forum for malware removal..and it simply rocks!!

But, i didn't find many sub forums in webdevelopment.
Maybe you could have different forums for
ASP
ASP.Net
JavaScript
etc....

Ofcourse, that depends on your userbase...

Thanks.

Tyrael

Tyrael

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
Would it be possible to make inactive usernames available to people who want a change of username? e.g. Usernames with no special access which haven't been used for years - those with 0 posts 0 views. I am not suggesting pruning all the inactive usernames, but rather unregister specific inactive usernames manually and change the name when there's a request for it

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
We have on occasion made inactive usernames available to other people when a special request is made. That's probably easier than trying to prune people automatically (pruning automatically sounds good in theory, but with this large a database, it's not always easy in practice).

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Would it be possible to make inactive usernames available to people who want a change of username? e.g. Usernames with no special access which haven't been used for years - those with 0 posts 0 views. I am not suggesting pruning all the inactive usernames, but rather unregister specific inactive usernames manually and change the name when there's a request for it

I think I'm a great example here...

I once made a request for my name to be changed to Ferrari (which is what it is now) and the admin handling that request granted me the name because they used to know "Ferrari" and they hadn't seen them in years, thus the old Ferrari was deactivated, I was given the active name Ferrari.

However, the very friend that recommended this forum to me has been a member for some years now, and I'm willing to bet he has only posted a few times. Think about it: to the normal user, there are many cases where they may not need assistance but 1 or more years at a time. He is an example of that, and his name would probably be targeted as "inactive".

If it was done, I think you'd have to set a inactive status starting at multiple years. In my opinion. I think it's best to just leave the procedure of PMing an admin for a name change, this way they can decide, look up post history, etc.

Edited by Ferrari, 09 February 2010 - 02:15 AM.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
I think it would be cool if Geekstogo gave an option for using a SSL connection. I haven't the slightest idea of what all using SSL entails though...

It's just that G2G hosts some info that could be damaging to the malware fight if released. Maybe if the site was a tad more secure, that would cut down on that risk?

I know I would feel better with an SSL connection, or maybe I just don't quite understand what's happening already in the background.

Just an idea...

Thanks!

Matthew C. Miller

Matthew C. Miller

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Search Functionality -

Was just in the Site-Orientation-FAQ looking for an advanced search page I linked to earlier in the week and found the jump menu at the bottom of the page. Hehehee, what you find when you're looking for it! :) Unfortunately, the "Search" link on the jump menu is broken - it takes one to the URL: http://www.geekstogo...fsj_search.html, when it should take one to the URL: http://www.geekstogo...rum/search.html.

Also, it would be nice to have a link to this advanced search page from the results on a regular search. It wasn't exactly obvious where to go to get to the advanced search page - the results on that page are much better than on the general google-based search (possibly for me, because I'm searching for info in the private forums, so this might not apply in general).

Thanks!
-Matthew

Kimberly5

Kimberly5

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I would say make it a little bigger, so that people could know about this. I'm so happy I found this site! I will be on here for a while and this is good because you know its safe and the people here are so polite and friendly! I have called some people on help lines and its horrible when you get only bad attitudes and horrible service, but this place is great!
Keep it up! :)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Thanks for the kind words. How do you suggest we "make it bigger"?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Hi !!
I have been using this excellent forum for malware removal..and it simply rocks!!

But, i didn't find many sub forums in webdevelopment.
Maybe you could have different forums for
ASP
ASP.Net
JavaScript
etc....

Ofcourse, that depends on your userbase...

Thanks.

we try to keep the subforums to a minimum. subforums tend to add clutter and get lost in the shuffle. so far in the webdevelopment forum, we haven't seen a need to branch out into the specific areas (especially if you really tried to have a separate subforum for each possible language...it would be 3 miles long), also, most of the people that post advice/help/suggestions in that area are fluent in more than one language, so it helps to not specialize too much in that area. if the areas were separate, you might not get as many valuable suggestions since your ASP pros who write java as a hobby might tend to stay more active in the ASP area and not see your java related question when they've got the answer you're looking for

Kimberly5

Kimberly5

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Thanks for the kind words. How do you suggest we "make it bigger"?

Well I mean as in advertise this more. It would be a great help to everyone, and I would have loved to have found this site sooner. I would love to see more people knowing about this great site! ^^ :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Well I mean as in advertise this more. It would be a great help to everyone, and I would have loved to have found this site sooner. I would love to see more people knowing about this great site! ^^

do you have a blog? or facebook? or twitter? etc...? do you have friends with computers? do those friends ever have issues? if so, tell them about us, link to us, blog about us etc..

Kimberly5

Kimberly5

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Well I mean as in advertise this more. It would be a great help to everyone, and I would have loved to have found this site sooner. I would love to see more people knowing about this great site! ^^

do you have a blog? or facebook? or twitter? etc...? do you have friends with computers? do those friends ever have issues? if so, tell them about us, link to us, blog about us etc..

I plan to make a big journal and start a youtube account as soon as I get the problem fixed. I have the Google Redirect Virus right now and I am in the process of fixing it... Unfortunately time isnt always on my side, but thank God for summer!

But as soon as this problem is fix I am going to make a lot of advertisement for this site, I promise! ^^ :)