Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gonna try on making a career change (IT related)

• Please log in to reply

Ca$ino

Ca$ino

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
right now im a special education assistant (instructional aide, so i teach). job is easy. i work with good people. down sides are the students can be real jerks and summer kicks my butt because i dont work (of course i love the time off).

I dont have any skills really. I took an A+ cert prep class a couple of years ago. i guess i could go that route but i think A+ is pretty much useless now. a buddy told me i should look into SQL server 2005. he said the language is easy to learn. Im thinking im going to give it a shot but i dont know if i should go the CC route, or go to a tech school like ITT, westwood college or other places like that.

any advice would be appreciated. not only on where to go to school but if there are any other fields i should look into.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Why would you specialize in an older version of SQL?

Ca$ino

Ca$ino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
like i said, it was his advice. i searched for jobs where they are looking for people that know sql server 2005 and there were alot of results. i did say any advice would be appreciated though. what would you recommend?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Why would you specialize in an older version of SQL?

SQL Server 2005 is the most recent version of SQL Server... unless you want to count the CTP release of SQL Server 2008 which occurred in June 2007... However, SQL Server 2008 is slated for a February 2008 release, and it is at that point that SQL Server 2005 will become outdated. Therefore, it may be in your best interest to wait until you can take classes in SQL Server 2008.

Edited by stettybet0, 20 July 2007 - 02:37 PM.

Ca$ino

Ca$ino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
thats good to know