Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange booting behaviour

• Please log in to reply

Snakely

Snakely

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi
I have an ageing system that has been reasonably stable until recently.
If the computer is booting from fully off ( power completely off ) it fires up, then switches off (monitor power save mode appears), then starts again, then switches off etc etc many times before finally working .
Both the DVDROM and CDRW lights keep flickering while it is trying to start and a swishing noise can be heard from one (or both ?) as if tring to read a CD.
The computer will restart ok if it is on, it only goes wierd if the power has been off. I am terrified of power cuts at the moment !!
I don't know if it's relevant, but the DVDROM has stopped recognising discs (even ones it used to be happy with), it just makes a swishing noise for a while then denies that it has a disc in it. It does still play DVDs exactly as it always has.
We are desperately hoping the problem can be resolved, as the upgrade/replacement fund is limited (ie nonexistent)
Virus scans give the all clear
The device manager says both DVDROM and RW are fine.
The CMOS battery has been replaced the other day, no hardware has been added for around a year.

Please - any help / advice will be gratefully appreciated !!

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I think that you have a failing power supply. There is a possiblity that it is your RAM causing trouble though. RAM is easier to test so you should start off with that.

Click Here for a Guide to Memtest

Click Here to Download Memtest

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Power supply is on the way out. Needs replacing, the problems will only get worse.

Snakely

Snakely

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok, thanks... the on/off thing has been getting worse, as in it does it much longer than it used to...does that indicate the power supply ? Is it a case of going to the shop and getting a new one ? (total ignoramus here, sorry )
Thanks for the Memtest link - the guide is a bit beyond me at the moment, I will pore over it carefully and try to get my head round the procedure

Snakely

Snakely

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
if we go for the new power supply option, how /where do I find out the correct wattage to go for ? Looking at suppliers, they offer anything up to 700w devices - I'm guessing that's WAY too high for this geriactric machine !

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You can't really have too many watts but it can be a waste of money in your case. Look inside your computer at the label on the power supply you already have. I would get something simular to the existing one.

Snakely

Snakely

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks, I will let you know if it works...probably next weekend before I can get another power supply.
Again, thanks for helping :whistling:

S

Snakely

Snakely

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tried the memtest - no errors, nice to know.
Have just this minute finished fitting the new power source and the machine fired up perfectly !
Many thanks for your help ! I was looking (guessing) an entirely different solution, so you saved me much hassle as I was obviously way off target .

Again , many thanks !!

S