Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help - Serious System Slowdown

• Please log in to reply

brummie_exile

brummie_exile

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there. I'm new here, so please be gentle with me!

I've a fairly new Acer 5633WLMi which has been excellent until... last Tuesday/Wednesday ish.
For no apparent reason that I'm aware of, or can find, it has decided to go on a 'go slow'. First thought was a virus or malware, so I cleaned and cleaned with AVG anti-virus and AVG anti-spy (running from day 1), Superantispy, CCCleaner and Registry Patrol. In each case, nothing obvious was found.

The principal problem is that it takes anything upto 10 minutes to load XP and the Anti-virus/Anti-spy software. Once loaded, each new program start, IE, Firefox, Word or Photoshop, etc. takes a perid of time before anything happens. Once they are running, they're fine. The internet connection is fine, once IE or Firefox loads.

Shut down is normal

I have a hijack and start-up log if it's any help.

I really would appreciate any assistance, because, basically 'It's doin' me bl@@dy headin'

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi brummie_exile...

Try a System Restore to last Sunday/Monday ish. See if that helps any.

wannabe1

brummie_exile

brummie_exile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
wannabe1

Thanks for the speedy reply. I'm sorry but I forgot to mention that I'd thought of that, so I did a restore, but no improvement!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This looks at a couple of causes

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

If you do not have an XP CD and are unable to borrow one, run the scan, click skip if it asks for the CD, if it keeps asking, click cancel.

If it kept asking for the XP CD then system files are missing

Click start then run, type chkdsk /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If there is no improvement

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

brummie_exile

brummie_exile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Keith
WOW! What a reply. I am extremly grateful for your detailed reply. I am currently at the defrag stage, but I fear it will take some considerable time to work all the way through.

Incidentally, I don'y have an XP CD as Acer now use a recovery partition on the HDD and get you to make a backup disc or disks. However the backup disk(s) can't be used for other than a return to original state, ie format and re-install. Is it possible to create an XP disc for repair purposes, from the XP files that are on the C: drive. I.e. to create a slipstremed XP install?

I can create a slipstreamed bootable from a recovery disc but can't find whether it's possible with my current Acer configuration.

Once again, many thanks, I'll let you know the outcome when I've worked through to the end of your reply.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run sfc /scannow anyway, hopefully it is set to look for files from the recovery partition

If it isn't, click skip if it asks for the CD, if you need to click skip more than a few times, you can borrow a same version XP CD

brummie_exile

brummie_exile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Keith
Many thanks

brummie_exile

brummie_exile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Keith

Have now completed your instructiions and this the outcome;
sfc /scannow reported no missing files
chkdsk /r took 12hours to complete!!!
Tune up found a few probs. but nothing significant.

Overall there has been no improvement.

I'll now have to folow your link for Malware and see if anything can be found.

Once again, my sincere thanks for your assistance

Regards
Phil

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Post 4 looks at probably the two most common causes for system slowdowns

Once you have run through the malware guide and posted the log, run memtest because 12 hours for check disc is rare

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Does your PC show any temperatures?

brummie_exile

brummie_exile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Keith

CPU shows 47 deg and HDD shows 42 deg.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Temperatures are fine

See how you get on with the Malware Team

You can run memtest whenever

brummie_exile

brummie_exile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've just created the Memtest Botable, so I'll give that a try. It certainly gives the impresion that the memory may be a fault, but we'll see what happens.
I'l be in touch.

brummie_exile

brummie_exile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well it just goes to show how wrong suppositions can be!!

Just completed 1 full pass and no errors! I'll leave it running and then try the Malware Team.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the PC run windows update automatically, or did you get the recent updates

brummie_exile

brummie_exile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I normally run automatic, but with so much testing, I can't remember whether I'm auto or manual at the moment. Why?

Incidentally, 5 completed Memtest passes and no errors, so I can only assume that all is OK. I'll let it do a couple more passes then move onto Malware