Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

500 GB lacie external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
posting on behalf of a friend,

Well i have had the hard drive for a while and then i tried to but a file in it recently and then it wouldnt let me.. it keeps saying that i have not enough space but it says that i have 60 GB left yet i wan to put in a file that is 5 GB .

... also i shook it around a little :redface: would that have any affect ....

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This problem can be caused by having too many files in the root of the drive.
Windows will only allow 512 files in the root of a drive for historic reasons.
Making a new folder, you can put as many files as you like in it then, you just can't dump too many in the root.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Didn't seem to work. He doesn't have his files scattered anyways. He has them like

My documents
My music
My videos
My games

So the root directory is filled with these folders but no files themselves. Any other suggestions?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
The drive is probably formatted as FAT32. That file system does not support any files that are larger then 4GB.

Zip it =]

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Hello this me. Last posts were him, but I was over at his house, so I just let him use my account.

Yes I realized that now. My other friend told me right before you posted! He has the drive backed up so we just went to My Computer, right-click, and format. I told him to leave Volume Label blank, hopefully that is not a problem?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Yeah, thats not an issue. The drive doesnt need to have a label. Other then that, you should be good to go :]