Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will this RAM be compatible?

• Please log in to reply

r2zoo

r2zoo

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Beena while since I posted here, but you guys are by far the most helpful. Anyways, I want to get some new RAM for my setup, however, after a bit of research, it turns out my setup isnt exactly compatible. I dont know for sure if this is gonna be a problem or not.

My Setup
Asus M2V-TVM
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Nvidia 7600GT
768mb DDR2 512 Kingston+256 no name brand(came with pc)
(if you need more specs let me know)

This is the RAM I want to purchase. Its DDR2 800, however my board only support up to 667. Im planning on upgrading my mobo in the future, and on my tight budget it doesnt seem worth it to pay a similar price for the same amount but it 667 when I could get a higher speed. Now, can the speed be clocked down and still be stable on my mobo? Im not sure how I would go about doing it anyways, also the RAM voltage is 2.0-2.1v, I have no idea if my board can support that either.

Any assitance in this is greatly appreciated :whistling:

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
In theory it should work, it will just run at the max speed that your motherboard supports. But it is hard to say if it will actually work because some motherboards ar picky about what memory is compatible. The memory that you have selected does not appear on the Asus Qualified Vendors List , but there is some A-Date memory listed.

r2zoo

r2zoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

In theory it should work, it will just run at the max speed that your motherboard supports. But it is hard to say if it will actually work because some motherboards ar picky about what memory is compatible. The memory that you have selected does not appear on the Asus Qualified Vendors List , but there is some A-Date memory listed.

Thanks for the reply, and a good friend of mine also told me this same thing, which I wasn't sure about it stepping down, seems like a waste to pay the same price for slower RAM. as for the Vendors list, in the manual for my motherboard, its lists VData which is made by A-Data so It should work, and if it doesnt I can always return it, thanks for the help though, much appreciated!