Free help from tech experts
Welcome to Geeks to Go forums. Create a FREE account now to gain access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. Best of all, registration and all assistance is 100% free! This message, and all ads will be removed once you sign in.
Create an Account Login to Account

How to disable wireless when Ethernet plugged in

• Please log in to reply

HLTCOM

HLTCOM

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am an IT manager who is hoping someone can shed some light on an obstacle we're trying to overcome.

Here's my situation . . .

My company HQ recently put in a wireless infrastructure to boost cel reception in the building but it also has the capability to be a wireless LAN.

The idea is to set up the LAN like a giant Starbucks with access to everyone but in no way shape or form is to be connected to our corporate network for several security and common sense reasons.

Now the issue that's arising is that when we're using wireless connectivity on a Dell D600 let's say (built in cards running WinXP), and then switch back to cable/LAN (going back to office/cube and plugging into our LAN via ethernet cable) both connections are live and bridging, and that's bad.

Now if a laptop user goes back to their desk and puts the machine in the docking station, we're okay, because we can change a setting in device manager to disable wireless when in the docking station. But if a user is not connected to any docking station, and just takes a cable and plugs in while the wireless card is live, both connection remain live.

Finally, here's my question . . .

Now is there a way in XP, either in the registry or a system setting, or some kind of script or third party application, to automatically disable the wireless card when a LAN/Ethernet cable is hot inserted (without rebooting)??

Any information or guidance anyone might have on that would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Similar Topics: How to disable wireless when Ethernet plugged in     x

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Now is there a way in XP, either in the registry or a system setting, or some kind of script or third party application, to automatically disable the wireless card when a LAN/Ethernet cable is hot inserted (without rebooting)??

Well if you don't mind wasting about 10 seconds, you could right click on the wireless network connection in the bottom right hand corner and hit disable. Now when you want to enable it, go to start->connect to->show all connections and then right click on wireless and hit enable.

To improve security, couldnt you set up a WEP encryption or a domain address so the computer has to be authenticated when it connects through wireless connection

JeffSchall

JeffSchall

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Not sure if this will completely answer your question, but after scouring the Internet, I couldn't find an answer, either. One of my coworkers found it, just by tinkering around with the network settings, though.

In XP:

start -> control panel -> network and internet connections icon -> network connections icon -> advanced menu -> Advanced settings... -> in the Connections: box, move the Local Area Connection up (before Wireless Network Connection). This will make the Local Area Connection profile take precedence over the Wireless Network Connection profile -> REBOOT.

Hope this helps you, or anyone else with the same question! <_<

Regards,
Jeff

etheral

etheral

• Pip
  • 1 posts
http://store.payload...end-detail.html

This is a really nice product and it works well... Could solve your problem. I bought it and it works on all my XP machines...

:bounce:

Sase Sham

Sase Sham

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Check out http://www.wirelessautoswitch.com they have a product that does what you want:

Wireless AutoSwitch runs as a service and will automatically disable your wireless card when you connect to a LAN (hard wire) connection, and re-enable the wireless card when there is no LAN connection. This ensures that you are always using the fastest connection for network traffic. In the office this helps reduce redundant network connections, while still helping your employees seamlessly transfer from wired to wireless network connections.

For offices that are wireless security conscious this application makes sure the laptop's wireless card is off when the user is wired into your network.

bobbysays

bobbysays

• Pip
  • 1 posts
http://www.wlanbook.com/bridgechecker/

BridgeChecker is a windows utility that can automatically disable/enable wireless interfaces. Whenever your computer is connected to an Ethernet port and the link state is good, the utility can automatically turns off the IEEE 802.11 wireless network interface. This conserves IP address allocation, reduces security risks, resolves dual interface routing issues, and prolongs battery life.

Geek-To-Go

Geek-To-Go

• Pip
  • 1 posts
http://www.lan-secur...sAutoSwitch.htm

Wireless Protector is windows based management and security software that automatically disable WiFi on computers that connected to the company network with LAN cable and re-enable WiFi when the LAN cable is disconnected from the computer. The software wireless auto switching capability helps to secure IT environments from un-trusted WiFi connections that can be used by potential intruders as a bridge to the organization network and prevent computers from using duplicate network resources.

GeekRusty

GeekRusty

• Pip
  • 1 posts
http://www.accessity.com.au/1Net.htm

1NET will ensure that all your computers are only connected to the Corporate network by automatically disconnecting any connections to other networks. This includes connections via wireless (wifi), mobile broadband (3g 4g) and mobile phone tethering etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured