Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble booting into safe mode

• Please log in to reply

dcook22

dcook22

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all,

I had always thought tapping F8 was the way in to Safe Mode, but I can't get there that way on my computer.

I restart the PC and tap F8 but I get a menu (the same old DOS blue with yellow letters that you'll find in a BIOS MENU) that asks me to specify the boot device I want to use. When I select the hard drive (I am trying to get into Win XP after all) it just boots windows normally.

The mobo is an ASUS A8N-E.

Does anyone know how to boot into Safe Mode on this motherboard? If not, is there another way to get in to Safe Mode?

And yes, I read the manual'd. It's not anywhere in the manual.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Advertisements

dcook22

dcook22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oddly enough I got my own answer from ASUS tech support. I didn't think I'd get through. For those of you who may have had the same issue, the answer is:

Tap F8 until you get the boot options menu. Then hit F4 to exit that menu and immediately begin tapping F8 again. The Safe Mode menu comes right up.

Dan

P.s. I had no idea that ASUS was pronouced uh-SOOS (Accent on the SOOS). But that's how they say it on their hold message.

dcook22

dcook22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oddly enough I got my own answer from ASUS tech support. I didn't think I'd get through. For those of you who may have had the same issue, the answer is:

Tap F8 until you get the boot options menu. Then hit F4 to exit that menu and immediately begin tapping F8 again. The Safe Mode menu comes right up.

Dan

P.s. I had no idea that ASUS was pronouced uh-SOOS (Accent on the SOOS). But that's how they say it on their hold message.

dcook22

dcook22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Dan

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
there are other ways too, for example if you can get to post then via msconfic(choose the boot from there), also the "pull out the plug" way of waiting till the windows loading screen appears, pulling out the mains plug(remove battery in laptop beforehand) replug and reboot, it automatically will offer safeboot options as a result.