Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

can't download windiag file

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
my computer has been shutting down randomly, and rebooting itself. when it comes back to life (if it does - doesn't always happen) it says the system has just recovered from a serious error.

The second time it did this, it opened up Microsoft's webpage, at this page: http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp , which recommends that i download their diagnostic software onto a CD and then run it so it can see if i have any problems with my RAM. i've followed all the directions but am stymied at step 3: it will not write the file windiag to a CD, saying it can't open the selected file for writing. My CD drive works fine, and the CD itself is brand new (I even tried using other brand new ones). the fault seems to be with the Microsoft file? dunno.

But the shutdown of the computer is serious and scary and i'm afraid of losing all my stuff. any suggestions as to how to get this going are much appreciated.

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Sounds like an overheating or virus problem.

Have you updated and run your antivirus scans?

Link to offsite malware cleaning instructions removed. We have our own Malware Forum and the staff there is second to none.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi heike...

How are you burning this file. ISO files must be burned a special way.

Download ISO Recorder and install it on your machine. Then right click on the WINDIAG.ISO file and choose "Copy Image to CD". This should create a bootable memory diagnostics disk for you. Reboot with this disk in the drive and let it run for about an hour. If any test fails, you have a bad stick of RAM.