Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Updates won't install

• Please log in to reply

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I recently reformatted a HD for a friend. I loaded XP w/ sp2. I went to update it at windows update. First it validated the OS. Then before it would download any updates it wanted me to install the windows update download software. I did it and and all other updates after that would not install. I went to microsofts support page and downloaded and installed the .net framework 3.0 and installer 3.1. Still nothing. I went to the internet options and deleted the history and cookies. Still nothing. I went in and did a repair on the OS with the disk and it took me back to where I had started. It told me that I had to install update installer before I could get updates. I did just that and now I am right back where I started with all installations failing to install!!!! Anybody have any other ideas?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Will this install?

http://download.micr...835-x86-ENU.exe

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
I also have a rpoblem with my machine where updates under 1mb in size just refuse to install telling me "<filename. is not a valid Win32 application"

any ideas?

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I actually had been reading some other threads with similar problems and found one that talked about a programon Majorgeeks.com. I went to major geeks and downloadedthe program and ran it. Now the updates are installing just fine. I never got a chance to run this file.

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Adrenalin, here is a link to the file that worked for me. Let me know if it works for you.
http://www.majorgeek...wnload4899.html