Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Updates not downloading

• Please log in to reply

mango_nj

mango_nj

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi!

I just recently started using Firefox and received a windows security update. I clicked on the icon to download the updates, but it only says 0% download. I went over to firefox help and they said windows updates won't work in firefox and to open the update page in IE. My IE tab options are already set to open the microsoft site in IE automatically. So I tried to download and install the updates straight from the site and it just sits there, saying it's searching my pc to see what i need. :whistling:

I went back over to firefox help and I read that an alternative was to set XP for automatic updates. I just did that, but unsure if that helped the situation.

Appreciate some help with this. Want to make sure I get all the critical updates from microsoft. This has never happened, before I started using a different browser. Firefox experts pls help & let me know what i'm doing wrong! Thanks!

Edited by mango_nj, 20 July 2007 - 11:40 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you were using the IE tab in FF and the Update site was doing a scan, you need to let it finish. It does take some time as it looks for more then just what critical updates you need. If in doubt, use IE itself to do a scan for updates.

If you are behind a Firewall, Windows' Updater may have a problem connecting to 'Net for Update checks. Same problem if a notice has been sent that Updates are ready.

BTW, FF has an update to version 2.0.0.5 if you haven't already installed it.

Ron

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
hi major payne!

thanks for the help! i thought maybe my 3rd party programs may be stopping me from downloading/installing my windows updates. i'm running zone alarm pro, kaspersky 6.0, spybot & spyware blaster. I didn't want to do it, but I disabled them all and went back to windows update and my downloads still FAILED. So, having those programs on wasn't the problem. i don't think firefox is causing this either. hate to uninstall it.

When i go to windows update - It scans my pc for the necessary files I need KB923689/KB917734. The button comes up for install and after clicking on it, the gray installation box appears. Well the gray box just sits there, with the curser blinking and after about 2 minutes a message comes up and says installation Failed and lists the files that were unsuccessful. This has never happened before.

As a last effort I set XP for automatic downloads/install, so I wouldn't have to go thru IE and I have not seen anything show up in my add/remove programs list. Last windows update was 7-11. I think my windows update downloaded file may be corrupted. How do I find out if that's the problem and if so, how do I fix it??

I was just in geeks a week ago to fix a malware problem. I upgraded my firewall, a better antivirus & switched to firefox. My pc seemed fine and now this.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Make sure the Windows Updater is not block in ZoneAlarm since you did turn on Auto Updates and ZA again. Here's Windows 3.0 Installer:

Installer

Wouldn't hurt to add Windows Defender to your arsenal. Even this one, if you don't have it:

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

This tool checks your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps to remove the infection if it is found. Microsoft will release an updated version of this tool on the second Tuesday of each month.

You don't need to un-install FF, but wouldn't hurt to do so or just install version 2.0.0.5 over your current version. This is a FF security update to browser so it needs to be done. I was wondering if you were having this problem using IE itself. Not FF with IE Tab.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 23 July 2007 - 12:35 AM.

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Ron,

thanks for the quick reply. at first I used Firefox IE tab to access windows update. when that didn't work, I accessed the microsoft site using IE browser and not through firefox. when that failed, i thought what now??!!!

i'll follow your instructions and give you an update. i hope the windows installer fixes my situation.

1 quick question - do i need to be in safe mode to run the windows malicious software removal tool??

want to make sure i do everything right, this has been a huge headache!

Edited by mango_nj, 23 July 2007 - 12:50 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
No, you can run both of M$' programs without resorting to Safe Mode.

Ron

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi Ron,

I ran the windows malicious software removal tool and did a full scan. NO malicious software was detected.

However, I downloaded the windows installer 3.0 and when I tried to install it, I got this message.

MS130-KB884016 Setup Error

Setup had detected that the svc pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying. No need to install

I guess I have already installed a newer vers. of this thru an automatic update or in svc pack 2.

Where do I go from here??

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Will see if I can get some additional help in the tech section on this. No ideas yet.

Ron

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
It was suggested to try:

http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

Windows update for non IE browsers. Let me know if this works.

Ron

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi Ron!

I'll certainly go over to 62nds.com - I think that is the site to install the windizupdate program. I've read about it, but was leary b/c some people have experienced problems with the software. I was a little peeved about this problem, so I wrote microsoft and if you can believe it - they actually responded. Probably because it's their update!

I tried to reload the downloaded files, but that didn't work. I was able to download and install the udpates I needed manually in safe mode, per microsoft's instructions. I'd be happy to share the troubleshooting information with this forum, if it will help you assist others that incur the same problem I did. Eventhough, my situation isn't exactly corrected - reloading may be all that's needed for some.

Let me know and I'll certainly paste it here. appreciate all your help MAJOR PAYNE!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
So glad you were able to get your updates. Yes, please provide steps you took to correct your problem as others may be following this topic. Thank you for posting back with update and for using GTG.

Ron

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
I hope this helps other people that are having difficulty with their windows updates! Thanks Again!!

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

From the problem description, I understand that the update/s XXXXX failed to be installed.

The issue may be caused by the following factors:

1. The installation is affected by some third-party security software.
2. The downloaded installation file is corrupted.

In order to narrow down the cause of our issue, let's refer to the following steps:

NOTE: Some third party programs can affect the Windows Update service. If you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try accessing the Windows Update site later. Please be sure to enable them again when the update process has been completed.

Step 1: Reload the Update temporary folders
===================================
This step can help us reload the downloaded installation files.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

If it does not work, let's refer to the following steps to manually download and install the update in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, any security software will not be launched.

Step 2: Download and install the update manually.
======================================
1. Please download the update from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads

2. Restart the computer.

3. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

5. Please install the update in the Safe Mode.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. We can just restart the computer to switch to Normal Mode.

However, if any error message is encountered when installing .NET Framework 2.0 and the update, please capture a screenshot for further research.

However, if the issue persists, please capture a screenshot when an error message is encountered:

How to capture a Screenshot:
=======================
1. When the error appears, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
2. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.
3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click Save.

Please try the steps shown above and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this issue, please don't hesitate to tell me. It is my pleasure to be of assistance.

Microsoft Windows Support Professional

Edited by mango_nj, 26 July 2007 - 03:58 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thank you for taking the time to post those steps. Surprised M$ replied, but guess they are taking failure to install updates seriously.

Ron