Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2nd Hard Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply

dragon89

dragon89

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I had an old eMachines that got an error and I couldn't run Windows after that, so I took the hard drive out (a 40 gb) and put it into another computer, a Compaq. I wanted the 40 gb to be the master, but when I tried running the new computer with the hard drive by itself, but an error came up, something about the operating system. I've also tried setting the old hard drive jumpers into the master position, but that error still comes up. It only works if the original hard drive is the master and the 40 gb one is the slave. Both jumpers are now in the cable select positions.

So I gave up on trying to set the old as master. Everything runs fine; I can open up files from the old hard drive and move them to the new one without any problems. However some things don't work. These are the issues I've encountered:

- Winamp: Whenever I open the program (installed on the old hard drive), the following error message pops up: "The ordinal 735 could not be located in the dynamic link library PX.dll." But it works normally besides that.
- Microsoft Office: I can't open up any of the programs. It says "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application." It's not installed on the new hard drive, and it would be useful if I could regain access to them before school starts again.
- Blizzard games: I don't have access to the cd keys I used to install them on the old hard drive, and I can't run them without first reinstalling them on the new hard drive.

I tried running Norton Ghost 12.0 to copy the files onto the new hard drive, but it doesnt work: "This operation cannot be performed while Windows is running. You must complete this operation inside the recovery environment."

So now I'm all out of ideas. My objective is to either 1. set the old hard drive as master, or 2. be able to run the programs on the old hard drive normally. Thanks for any and all help.

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
the reason the old 40 gb hard drive won't work as master in the new computer is it's setup for the old computer, all drivers, etc... are for the old emachine and won't work on the compaq. you'd need to totally reinstall windows on the drive after installing it in the new compaq which would delete all files on it. I believe your getting errors when trying to run programs from that drive because of the same reason. I'm not sure if or how you could transfer all your programs from the old drive to the new primary one. I'm sure someone else here can help with that tho.

good luck

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Any program that was on the old 40 gb hard drive that you want to use will have to be reinstalled on the computer that you put the hard drive into. The reason they will not run is that there are no Registry entries on the new computer telling Windows ho to run those programs.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo, as pointed out windows marries the motherboard on the computer it is installed on, an idea is make a new partition on the harddrive with partition magic and then fresh install the system to it, then transfer data(but not programs)from there but probably if you can fresh install it would be better to do it cleanly slaving the old harddrive later to retract data, because remarrying the system to a new computer is the results you have seen since the programs and drivers will belong to the previous computer and it could work just perfectly until comprimised at some time in the future by the specs of your new system causing one a lot of extra work finding the cause and then reinstalling,

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It seems that you have to clone the disk by using a bootable versiobn of the clonning program. Check if you can create a bootable cd of Ghost. If you can't, use this link to download an iso image of maxx vesion 1.0 and create a bootable cd. Clone the old disk to the 40 giga and install the 40 as as master.

I never tried maxx 1.0 but it should be rather simple,