Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot optimization

• Please log in to reply

cturnerlewis

cturnerlewis

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have a sony vaio pcv-w20 that was taking 5 minutes to boot up. I have run Norton Security suite for antivirus,adaware, spyware, malware, etc. I have disable unnecessary items in startup and through windows system utility have changed some programs which were automatically loaded to manual. This has taken my startup time down to 3 minutes, but microsoft claims it should be 30 seconds. I have spoken to sony support which says there is no boot optimizer application for the vaio computers. My wife's hp boots in 1 minute 15 seconds. Any suggestions? :whistling:

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What microsoft tells you is most probably a bootup time of a computer without any appliactions running (no antimalware, no any other program). The more applications you take off at startup the faster the computer will boot up.

When you compare computers, like you do with your wife's, you must compare two identical machines with identical load of programs.

Please do the following: (For downloads use links in my signature).

1: Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Choose selective startup. Go to the "startup" tab and uncheck everything which is not essential to run in the background. Leave only antimalware programs running. (if you change your mind latter you can reactivate those programs). Confirm and reboot.

2: Download and run ccleaner. Run the "cleaner" and "issues" options a number of times until nothing is left to be cleaned. Use the backup option (in "issues") when prompted to do so.

3: Run a thorough scan with updated antimalware programs. Use Spybot Search and Destroy, AVG Anti-Spyware and Adaware SE. Run your Antivirus. Run full system scans (all files), preferably in safe mode. Run the programs one at a time,

4: Run disk defragmantation. Click start > all programs > accessories > system tools > disk defragmenter.

5: Download and run PageDefrag. This program defrags system and page files which are not defragged by other means. Set it to work upon next boot and reboot.

6: Press ctr+alt+del to enter task manager. Under Performance tab look for "physical memory". Please report Total and Available.

7: Enter "My Computer", right-click drive C: > properties. Please report Capacity and Free Space on your hard disk.

8: Download Everest and run it. Go to Computer > Sensor. Wait few seconds until the table fills up. Please report temperatutes of cpu, HD and motherboard.

cturnerlewis

cturnerlewis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Physical Memory
Total=1015328
Available=569508

Capacity 55.9 GB
Free Space 40.1 GB

Temperature
CPU=54C (129F)
HD=50C (122F)
Motherboard=54C (129F)

Virus scan done, defrag done, page defrag done

cturnerlewis

cturnerlewis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Physical Memory
Total=1015328
Available=569508

Capacity 55.9 GB
Free Space 40.1 GB

Temperature
CPU=54C (129F)
HD=50C (122F)
Motherboard=54C (129F)

cturnerlewis

cturnerlewis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Physical Memory
Total=1015328
Available=569508

Capacity 55.9 GB
Free Space 40.1 GB

Temperature
CPU=54C (129F)
HD=50C (122F)
Motherboard=54C (129F)

cturnerlewis

cturnerlewis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Physical Memory
Total=1015328
Available=569508

Capacity 55.9 GB
Free Space 40.1 GB

Temperature
CPU=54C (129F)
HD=50C (122F)
Motherboard=54C (129F)

cturnerlewis

cturnerlewis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Physical Memory
Total=1015328
Available=569508

Capacity 55.9 GB
Free Space 40.1 GB

Temperature
CPU=54C (129F)
HD=50C (122F)
Motherboard=54C (129F)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to disable, for test purposes, everything which is not absolutely essential, in startup. Switch off your modem/router and check off every antimalware program. See what the bootup speed now.

cturnerlewis

cturnerlewis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Now we are at 1:40! Getting alot better!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Bootup speed is clearly related to the number of programs and the nature of each in startup. Certain programs can take quite a long time to load up (e.g Notron security suit, ZoneAlarm security suit, CAD programs video editing etc.). A very important factor, of course, is the computer's specs (cpu type, ram type, ram volume, HD buffer and rpm etc.).

Considering that the hardware is a given factor it is up to you to decide what to run at startup and what programs to use. For example, I use Avast as an antivirus, Spyware Terminator as a real time antispyware protection and microsoft firewall. This combination is more then enough for me and it loads up fast. If you prefer Norton suite, for example, be prepared for a longer bootup time.

VDL

VDL

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Spyware Terminator took up to 2-3 GB in my ADD REMOVE panel and I removed this spycrap. It found Trojan Phoney winlogon and forced me to format my system. I never did that in two years! :whistling: java script:add_smilie(":blink:","smid_26")

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know. I use Spyware Terminator for quite sometime and consider it to be a lovely program. Exactly what I was looking for: free, lightwheight and smart. It seems, however, that a serious problem has been developed very lately.

I guess i'll remove it from my computer for the time being.

VDL

VDL

• Pip
  • 4 posts
It's not lightweight and it is full of bug (not the beta, the regular version). I was forced to format my PC last week because it failed to remove cleanly a Trojan Phoney.winlogon infection and I couldn't access my pc anymore. But you are free to do as you wish. :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I appriciate the fact that you allow me to do as I wish.